BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Adding patterns & different materials to walls

Parky
Newcomer
Hi all, my first post here so go easy on me!

I'm having trouble trying to create a 3D pattern on my external concrete tilt panel wall with different colours, see attached screenshot. Any ideas? I thought previously i have just used the "profiler" tool, but it just gives one material for the whole wall? And i cant seem to get the "Complex profiler" tool to represent it the way i want it to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Parky

Capture.JPG
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks like the curtain wall tool would do the trick. You'll have to tweak the frame and panel dimensions, and it will take a bit of trial and error. It's a great tool but quite a bit different from the others.
Dwight
Newcomer
And if the curtain wall tool proves too difficult, the complex profile works this way:

For each color of panel, make one complex profile using fills drawn on the wall elevation.

Place this profile as a wall perpendicular to the base wall surface as deep as you want the panels. Like, 1" or so?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
...and yet other ways:

1. Draw the pattern with fills in a worksheet and use a screen shot (or save as) to make a texture to be applied as a material.

2. Model the forms with slabs and save as a library part, which can be applied to the face of the wall or subtracted from it with "use materials of operator" selected.

3. Use Objective... Well I'm not sure it would really work for this but it seems to be the answer to so many other modeling problems
Dwight
Newcomer
You really like to make it difficult for newbies.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
You really like to make it difficult for newbies.
What? You want the really hard ways?
Dwight
Newcomer
Haven't you covered them all?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Haven't you covered them all?
Let's see...

SketchUp export to 3DS...

Careful arrangement of freeform windows...

Custom multi-point freeform window object...

Colored marking pens on the screen (or mount a roll of flimsy on top)...

Cigraph addons (Archiforma, Archifaçade, Architiles)...
Dwight
Newcomer
You have me on this one.
I can see that i am no match for you.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
You're still beating me by over 1100 posts. Remember back when we were young and 1100 seemed like a lot for a total?
Learn and get certified!