BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Align 3D texture

Tom Krowka
Booster
Will this command work with open GL engine setting. I can only get it to become active if I use the internal 3d option. The vectorial hatching has to be turned on (according to the help ); it is greyed out in the open GL setting.
When I marquee an area and go to the 3d window with the internal 3d engine on, only a small portion of the marquee area shows up.
Any suggestions?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
13 REPLIES 13
Karl Ottenstein
Tom wrote:
Will this command work with open GL engine setting. I can only get it to become active if I use the internal 3d option. The vectorial hatching has to be turned on (according to the help ); it is greyed out in the open GL setting.
When I marquee an area and go to the 3d window with the internal 3d engine on, only a small portion of the marquee area shows up.
Any suggestions?
Hi Tom,

This command works for me in 8.1R2+ with either the OpenGL or Internal engine, and with the Internal, vectorial hatching doesn't have to be on (you just can't see what you did with it off).

Note: you cannot align the texture of a (GDL) object - only basic elements (walls, roofs, etc.) This may be part of what's happening in your case?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
I'm trying to do it with a ceiling slab that has wood strips running in the wrong direction. That's not considered an object, is it?

Maybe I'll try it again after a reboot. Perhaps I'm out of smart little memories.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
Sometimes, when a material just won't behave, duplicating the material with the texture appropriately rotated within the material mapping will solve the problem.

That is, sonny, what we did in the old days.
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Well, pops, this is not the good ol days anymore. Either it works as advertised, the help and the books should be more accurate, or there is a problem that needs to be corrected.

I do not intend to flame you. I've been using this program for almost a year now; it's very difficult to teach oneself using the forum and the books and still try to meet production deadlines and make a few bucks in the meantime.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
So, is this a go-around where we complain to each other, or actually try to help manage the situation with the tools we have today, so that, as a community, we can all be more productive.

Go ahead and complain all you like - the new rendering engine solves many of these issues, but perfect surface mapping is hard to achieve in any application.

Have you had success with my suggestion?
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And those old days - they weren't good.

I was so angry when I learned that ArchiCAD couldn't do what I thought were obvious tasks - free-forming of tents, etcetera and such a lousy renderer!

Attached is the first real complex thing I did in ArchiCAD where the model mostly done in hacked GDL and binary stretches was used to build the fiberglass form block.

Huy yuy yuy!
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
and the result - in 1997
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Tom wrote:
I'm trying to do it with a ceiling slab that has wood strips running in the wrong direction. That's not considered an object, is it?

Maybe I'll try it again after a reboot. Perhaps I'm out of smart little memories.
Hi Tom,

Nope, slabs are elements. I have no problem aligning textures on slabs. Did you check to see if you have grouping suspended or not. That might make a difference? Or if the slab layer is locked, or the slab as an element is locked (Tools menu)?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks. I did get it to work finally. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong; I could swear I'm doing the same thing & now it works.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Learn and get certified!