Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Almost nothing can be selected in 3D - Ideas?

Karl Ottenstein
A firm that I'm consulting with sent me a PLA to review several problems.

After fixing their main issues, I've found that I can select almost nothing in the 3D window. 2D selection is fine.

If I display the model in 3D, 7 walls can be selected by ctrl-A with either arrow or wall tool. Absolutely nothing else can be selected, nor will the mouse recognize hotspots on any other objects including the other walls.

I've tried a forward merge, and a save-corrected-as-PLA:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4893&highlight=repair+corrupt#4893

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=3791

Neither changed the situation.

I've made sure that all layers and all elements are unlocked. I've undone any and all SEOps. No luck.

Saving all walls on one story as a MOD and merging those into a new file results in all of those walls being selectable in 3D. But, simply trying to merge the old file into a new file (which would lose views - but I'm trying everything I can think of) - results in the same unselectable behavior.

Quite bizarre.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Karl

PS Grid snap is off, too - but that only affects 2D selection.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Propably not your case but I noticed the same thing lately. I cannot select walls nor objects if I'm close to them. No matter if I click somewhere on them or by using hot-spots. It usually helps when you refocus your view so you can see the whole object/wall, but as I said your case might be different.

Greets
Aussie John
Newcomer
Hi Karl
I have seen some wierd behaviours like that before and I cut and repasted the elements and that fixed it.

I am wondering if there is a corrupt element somewhere

If you select an element in 2D then 3d project is it selectable. Likewise try the Marquee box over a small part of the project to see if a rouge element is causing havoc.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
here are two longshots.....

"7 walls can be selected by ctrl-A with either arrow or wall tool"....this reminds me of a once in a while mircostation problem, elements could be way off of the design plane....create a new file and ref it in different spot....the merge....

are you using a wireless mouse...some times I get this can't select mode using a wireless mouse...I usually just reboot...not often but it does occur....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Did you try merging the modules back into the old file? (Kind of the same as cut/paste I guess). If you publish all the stories as complete modules, delete everything form the plan views, then merge the modules back in, this might clean out the original enough that you don't have to lose the viewsets, etc.

I would also try dragging (and drag/copying) the entire building (heavy marquee, all layers on) to see if that has any effect.

Aussie John's marquee exclusion method has also helped me find rogue elements that were giving me headaches (though not what you are describing).
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks everyone for your fast responses!

John (and Matthew) - your idea solved the problem. Cutting all elements (except section markers) and pasting them back in place ... for each story ... fixed the situation.

Thanks again,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Aussie John
Newcomer
excellent
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Tom Krowka
Booster
But.....why did it happen in the first place? Ghost in the machine?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com