Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Angled beam object does not display correctly in floor plan

S_at_PMR
Participant

In a project I am working on, we are trying to show the beams overhead on the floor plans in a transparent blue. I am using the Archicad Universal Beam in the Steel structure section of the standard library. Level beams display correctly (faded blue fill with dashed blue contour line); but when I change the rotation angle of the beam  along the cross section to follow the roof angle, the fill changes to a grey. If I were to change the angle back to 0 degrees, the fill returns to blue. Please see the attached screenshot showing both the blue level beams, and the grey rotated beams.

How do I get a beam which has a rotation along the cross section to use the correct floor plan display options? I am using Archicad 24 7007 UKI Solo.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 12.18.14.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

It is probably just the way the object is scripted.

When flat is is just a simple lines and fill scenario (contour pen, hatch foreground pen and hatch background pen).

But when you angle it, it will use a 'Projection' of the 3D view in plan.

I just had a look at it and it seems when angled, you can only use the backgound pen colour and the contour pen colour is used for the foreground fill as well as the actual contour.

So you still can get the same fill so long as you set the contour pen from grey to blue.

As I said probably a limitation in the way the 3D projection works (it's a GDL thing).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate

Have you tried recreating the same thing using the beam tool and a complex profile?  I'm not familiar with the Universal Beam object. 

Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)

There's not a problem with the beam tool - but the beam object is incredibly useful with all of the BS beam sizes readily available I was hoping there was a solution available to enable me to continue using the object.

Solution

It is probably just the way the object is scripted.

When flat is is just a simple lines and fill scenario (contour pen, hatch foreground pen and hatch background pen).

But when you angle it, it will use a 'Projection' of the 3D view in plan.

I just had a look at it and it seems when angled, you can only use the backgound pen colour and the contour pen colour is used for the foreground fill as well as the actual contour.

So you still can get the same fill so long as you set the contour pen from grey to blue.

As I said probably a limitation in the way the 3D projection works (it's a GDL thing).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Many thanks Barry, this makes sense.