Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Arched opening in wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I need to create an arched opening in a wall. I've used an empty arched door opening but the arch radius is not correct for what I need. Ideally I'd like to be able to do this in section view as I have a JPEG image for an overlay and I'm trying to match an arch in that image.

Thanks

Gene
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
genebail wrote:
I need to create an arched opening in a wall. I've used an empty arched door opening but the arch radius is not correct for what I need. Ideally I'd like to be able to do this in section view as I have a JPEG image for an overlay and I'm trying to match an arch in that image.
Hard to imagine why one of the arched openings in the door library won't work since all but one have parametric arch heights but...

You can draw the shape in the floor plan window as a slab (see picture below). Set the slab so the bottom is a little below elevation 0 and make it 1 foot to the top. Be sure to give it the ID wallhole.

Look at it in the 3D window (an axonometric view with an azmuth of 270) and choose File/GDL Objects/Save 3D model as...

Give the object a name and when the Save as Library Part dialogue comes up choose Door and click OK

woodster
arched opening.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much! I've read alot of your other postings and you've always been very helpful.

Gene
Anonymous
Not applicable
Woody,

I think I followed the steps correctly. Created a slab, made it a GDL object, placed in the wall as a door.... But, the "door" is a reverse image if you will. The opening is solid and the shoulders above are cleared out. What happened? (Arches on the right were created using door tool with arched opening)

Gene
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Look at it in the 3D window (an axonometric view with an azmuth of 270) and choose File/GDL Objects/Save 3D model as...
Woody must be assuming you are not on AC9 yet, because now you need not view a window or door in 3D with a camera azimuth at 270 degrees. The angle is simply taken from it's orientation on the floor plan.

Right Woody?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So what can I do to make my arched door object behave like a door?

Gene
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Gene ,
It looks like that you have called the wrong slab "WALLHOLE".
Take a look at the original, before you saved it as a door, be sure to see that you have the correct slab as the "WALLHOLE".

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com