Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 19 - Is GS really listening?

rob2218
Enthusiast
guys....please, don't take this the wrong way. I've seen this video
https://youtu.be/bkABWv_zb1U
and it really bugs me.
I'll tell you why.
GS is focusing man-hours and designs on parametrics that, well....really AREN'T what the user needs......playground equipment?....really?

Geez guys...please, get a good set of working stairs. Get good working railings that can do more than what it's doing now. Get a good cabinet object that has the ability to do more.......THATs what we need folks....please...listen to your user base.

Here in the U.S....we don't care about 'playground' equipment being able to show a baby seat in the swing or not.....we need to have stairs that work well. We need to have stairs that you can have a "zero distance" between the up treads and risers and the lower treads and risers on a switchback stair!......those are the things GS should be focusing their efforts on!!!!!!!
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
29 REPLIES 29
Eduardo Rolon
Tried it and no it does not work.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
strawbale wrote:
Please tell me that the new permanent guidelines can be made visible on all layouts when placed on a master layout... even if I have to turn on the master layout as a trace reference
Although seeing native guidelines placed on a master layout would be a nice feature, I've been achieving similar results for many years another way:

Create a pen color that is one value from true white. For example, RGB:254,255,255. AC recognizes true white and anything drawn with a true white pen on a master layout will display as white on any layout using that master.

Draw your fake guidelines using the line tool and the "off-white" pen color you created. On your layouts these master layout guidelines will appear in the master layout color you designate in Work Environment->User Preference Schemes->On-Screen Options

This tricks AC into displaying your fake guidelines on layouts, but since they are only one value from true white the lines don't appear in PDFs, BIMx Docs, paper prints, etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Eric wrote:
strawbale wrote:
Please tell me that the new permanent guidelines can be made visible on all layouts when placed on a master layout... even if I have to turn on the master layout as a trace reference
Although seeing native guidelines placed on a master layout would be a nice feature, I've been achieving similar results for many years another way:

Create a pen color that is one value from true white. For example, RGB:254,255,255. AC recognizes true white and anything drawn with a true white pen on a master layout will display as white on any layout using that master.

Draw your fake guidelines using the line tool and the "off-white" pen color you created. On your layouts these master layout guidelines will appear in the master layout color you designate in Work Environment->User Preference Schemes->On-Screen Options

This tricks AC into displaying your fake guidelines on layouts, but since they are only one value from true white the lines don't appear in PDFs, BIMx Docs, paper prints, etc.
Very nice tip Eric, going to try it. Ive never seen this tip mentioned before, thanks for sharing!
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
Off topic, but I think you can get the same result by drawing your guide lines into an new layout (using the same master) and show it as trace reference on your working drawing.
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
Stress wrote:
Same choices we've always had for door panels. Huge raised panel or ..., wait, that's the only choice.
I don't want people to get me wrong though;..

I do believe that Version 19 is a solid upgrade for what it's supposed to be (a performance upgrade versus features upgrade) and it ticks a hell of a lot of boxes.

I just don't think GS (nor their marketing department, more specifically) do themselves any favors where users are concerned when you have demo videos of things like that parametric playground object (really????) like the original poster pointed out, when more project-critical items (like Stairs, doors, visual GDL custom object editor/creator) that have been sitting on the Wishlists for over 10 years at least, still go begging for attention with yet another update.

It sadly comes off as just a bit tone-deaf and obtuse to your users.

Just a tad....
I'm with you.
Solid upgrade. Just seems like a lot of long standing wishes aren't heard.

Here's my wish for the future:
A simple survey sent to every registered AC license holder, asking:
"What are your top five wishes/features/improvements for future releases of AC?"
Put the top two responses into the "pipeline" for future version.
Do this every year.
Yes this will work but make the list a bit longer to say 10?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Custom Stair Maker Tool?

Those Cabinets are archaic compared to other CAD programs!
Jeff Kogut
Booster
A little birdy told me the stair tool will be addressed in the next release. That's as much as I know, no details.
AC19-23 | Win10 Pro | i7-8700K | Quadro P600 | 500gb 960 EVO M2 | Dual 28" 4k Samsung U28E590
Karl Ottenstein
Jeff wrote:
A little birdy told me the stair tool will be addressed in the next release. That's as much as I know, no details.
Perhaps they'll address it by removing it. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Perhaps they'll address it by removing it. 😉

......or worse......

.....Over-thinking it, and coming up with something even more convoluted, byzantine and unecessarily clunky trying to be a swiss-army knife (stair)tool for all occasions and localities only to end not satisfactorily serving any.

There's a veritable palette of smart (and smartly conceived) existing tools and workflows in the current ArchiCAD workset which I hope they utilize in coming up with a fluid, intuitive and easy-to-use (yet powerfully versatile and intelligent) stair tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If there is one tool screaming out for input from the Archicad users forum, its the stair tool.

I know it will never happen but its a nice thought.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Guys, don't be so pessimistic.
As far as I am concerned, whenever I have the opportunity I tell the product designers, developers and decision makers at Graphisoft that the Stair Tool is something that many users would like to be overhauled. You guys can do the same whenever you meet any of these guys from GS HQ.
And I keep hoping that our wishes will one day be fulfilled. So I am trying to look at the bright side.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27