BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 22 - Railings!...YIKES

rob2218
Enthusiast
help
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru
Because it is associative it is trying to snap to the nodes between landings and flights as well as end points? What are you trying to do? You have double up nodes... Having your reference line shift between the nosing and rear of tread will mess up your railing heights. The only time you want that transition is at the bottom of flights where the tool will automatically adjust to continue along your landing or slab most of the time.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Carstenem
Expert
Yes try to not use associated, like turn it off. Let us know if that helps.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
rob2218
Enthusiast
I'll try the 'non-associative' type.
thanks.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Lingwisyer
Guru
I do not remember this happening in 22, but my static railings in 23 keep becoming associative when I try to use any part of a stair as a reference point...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
I do not remember this happening in 22, but my static railings in 23 keep becoming associative when I try to use any part of a stair as a reference point...

Ling.

Yep, happens in 22 as well.
If you drag to a node on the stair and you see the baseline of the stair highlight, it will associate to that node.
Drag to just the baseline or boundary edge and it won't.

However if you see the baseline highlight, wait just a second until you get the snap point guide (blue circle) and then press TAB once.
It will un-highlight the stair and will not associate to it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
PVBergkrantz
Expert
Barry wrote:
Lingwisyer wrote:

Ling.

Yep, happens in 22 as well.
If you drag to a node on the stair and you see the baseline of the stair highlight, it will associate to that node.
Drag to just the baseline or boundary edge and it won't.

However if you see the baseline highlight, wait just a second until you get the snap point guide (blue circle) and then press TAB once.
It will un-highlight the stair and will not associate to it.

Barry.
I have this same problem, placing stairs with magic wand makes them associate to the top of the stair nose, but placing manually snaps to the stair baseline and associates to the bottom, which messes up the heights. I tried your trick with pressing tab but it just cycles through the values of the tracker box (distance, angle, etc). Even if the stair is set to be static it makes it associative when I try to put a node on this specific point. In my screenshots I want the point at the red circle, but Archicad forces it to the blue, but at the top of the stair it forces it to the opposite point, which makes the railing slope diagonally relative to the stair.
Any ideas?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Any updates on this? As it stands the railing tool is completely useless, so many options but no way to use them in a good way to achieve what you want. Stairs can't overlap, but to get railings to work apparently you need one continuous across multiple stories, but then the 2d gets completely messed up... This is a huge flaw in archicad right now and seemingly no changes planned?

rob2218
Enthusiast
there are a few youtube videos from this fellow.
he knows his stair stuff.
check his name out.

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
PVBergkrantz
Expert
Thanks for the suggestion, some good videos there but unfortunately nothing that I could find that helps this situation.

Learn and get certified!