Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad on M2 MacBook Pros?

feniss
Participant

Although I’m working full time at an office, I’m considering getting my own AC license and practicing or doing freelance work on my own personal machine. And as I need to replace my old laptop anyway, I’m considering one of the new M2 MacBook Pros. Can anyone say anything to their compatibility, as well as performance (modelling and rendering)? Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Thank you for the question!

Even though we haven't tested the M2 chip, this chip is still manufactured based on the same platform as the M1 family. With the currently available model (Macbook Air M2 and Macbook Pro 13" M2), the performance gain is minor in comparison with the M1 chip. Therefore, if you would buy a Macbook right now for professional work, we still recommend M1 Pro/M1 Max over M2 chip, as they should have a much better performance. 

I hope this will help you with the decision. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh,
Could you please be so kind and let us know when and how the announced ARM-native preview version of AC 26 will be available for testing?
Thank you.
Kind Regards
Roman

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest

It's been said here already, but I second the recommendation to pass on this version of the M2 MacBook Pros or Airs. I've seen multiple videos of tests comparing the M2 vs. M1 laptops and the M1 Pro or Max chipset is leagues above the base M2 chip just released. In fact, tests comparing the MacBook Air M1 vs. Air M2 are showing the M1 performing better in many tests.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Hi Roman,

According to our schedule, the Preview version of Archicad 26 ARM may arrive in mid to late Autumn. Please note that this version will not come with any addons installed.

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh,
Thank you for your reply and information.
During the launch event (220714), in the Q&A sessions, Carlos Cordeiro announced that the Preview version would be made available within the next two weeks. The final release is scheduled for Q4.
So I wonder if I misunderstood something?
What will happen with the addons? These will not be recompiled for ARM silicon?
Kind Regards
Roman

PClarke
Booster

Are you able to use Windows? A Windows pc / laptop a quarter the price will get much better performance than an M1 / M1 pro. I had to use an M1 recently, it was terrible. We tried out and M1 pro to see if it worked any better and it wasn't. If you want something that is actually decent for rendering get an Intel CPU with at least 10 cores (20 hyperthread cores) and a NVIDIA GPU with a lot of CUDA cores. Gaming gpus are good for rendering. I'm using a 2070 super and it renders faster than a quadro rtx6000. Make sure you've got at least 32gb ddr4, 64gb will do much better, make sure your ssd is Nvme m2.

Hi Roman,

My bad, I got the wrong information then! Yes, the Preview for Archicad 26 on ARM will arrive earlier than expected. As far as I know, no addons will be available for this build, but they will arrive in the final release.

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

This thread was not intended to start another useless Mac VS Win battle.
Of course, the ARM M1 is worlds ahead of any Windows Laptop in terms of performance and energy efficiency.
Precondition: the used apps should be native (recompiled/recoded) for the ARM technology.

Thank you.
Please let us know when and how to get this Preview version.
Thanks.