BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Architects today....you have NOT a clue what you speak of...

rob2218
Enthusiast
I studied architecture. Got my Masters in Architecture from a quality college in up state Florida (...go Gators!). Have worked for over 30 years in this profession. Have done buildings of all types....really I have. Have worked in over 25 offices in my lifetime...really I have. Have seen Autocad go from some bogus drafting tool to now Revit (I know, it was originally it's own company)...and the even better Archicad but you get where I'm going.

I find there are more and more architects who have NOT a clue what manure excretes out of their mouths when they constantly make the statement.....'it's just two lines, just move them"...........

Architects..........YOU no NOT what you speak of. in todays BIM world...it's a VOLUMETRIC space "WE" who operate the BIM softwares are dealing with guys.........it's not "just move two lines"......so come on architects. You know who I'm talkin bout....get with the program and give us BIM Jockeys some credit and stop making ridiculous statements such as "it's just two lines, move them" or better yet "...don't you have a button that can complete the construction document set for me?"...........the nerve.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, guess I won't say that anymore…………..
rob2218
Enthusiast
funny...
but in all seriousness.....I have had architects, very talented in their own ways.....come up to me and say just that "Hey, doesn't that software have a button that can get the drawings all done?.....I thought BIM was suppose to be able to design and create CD's all by themselves"...............sheesh....as Bugs would say.........."Da Noiv of some peoples"

Don wrote:
Wow, guess I won't say that anymore…………..
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Oh yeah.....here was a recent comment I heard....."don't worry about the 3D right now...let's focus on the 'plan'.."

Guys.....really guys. Focus on the plan........IDIOTS!......maroons! (As Bugs would say).....it's ALL 3D or nothing.......DONT YOU GET IT!
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
David Collins
Advocate
This rant predates BIM and probably goes back to Kallikrates... There were always 2d guys with their parallel bars and circle templates and 3d guys with their chipboard study models and their effortless freehand perspectives. And for some reason I never understood, the bosses were always 2d guys. I guess they needed the z axis for administration and marketing.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
gpowless
Advocate
I spent 20 years as a building inspector in federal and municipal governments. I have examined tens of thousands of plans, including a nuclear power plant, high rises and thousands of retail and office complexes.

My most difficult issues were raised because architects were clueless about building code requirements. I tried to help with the corrections as far as I could but if you can imagine trying to incorporate ADA requirements after the final designs have been completed, priced and submitted you can understand the dilemma. The owner often blamed us for being too tough.

Some of the greatest problems arose because many Architects (and many Engineers) did not understand the requirements for fire safety - exits, separations, construction resistance etc. Adding BIM to that mess just complicates the thinking of individuals who just want to collect their fees and take off for the weekend to the cottage.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
rob2218
Enthusiast
I suppose it does.
But it's still a valid rant. And yes, seems all the owners of architectural firms are 2D guys. Can't even draw a 3D cube to save their jobs. Yet, they....somehow....manage to make the office work. I'm done trying to understand how incompetunts' in the world who can think in a 3 dimensional profession become successful. Done with it I tell you. From now own, you want me to find that "magic button".....I'll be a 'yes-man'......"yes sir, I'll search high and low for it, you just keep paying to think in a capacity which you are incapable of thinking and I'll continue to create your models for you".........I'm fine with that.
Sorry for the rant, this thread began with a conversation 'not' with recent folks rather......10 year old bosses from another life. As a matter of fact, the dudes here in my current neck of the woods are actually pretty skilled at 3d thinking......which is refreshing.
David wrote:
This rant predates BIM and probably goes back to Kallikrates... There were always 2d guys with their parallel bars and circle templates and 3d guys with their chipboard study models and their effortless freehand perspectives. And for some reason I never understood, the bosses were always 2d guys. I guess they needed the z axis for administration and marketing.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
My most difficult issues were raised because architects were clueless about building code requirements......... The owner often blamed us for being too tough.
Non compliance is a major issue.Interestingly enough the new codes are now allowing for numerical model coupling and FEM.
rob2218
Enthusiast
that's the wonderful thing about "codes" (and standards for that matter)............there are so many choose from.
DesignEngineerBIM wrote:
gpowless wrote:
My most difficult issues were raised because architects were clueless about building code requirements......... The owner often blamed us for being too tough.
Non compliance is a major issue.Interestingly enough the new codes are now allowing for numerical model coupling and FEM.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad can be such a powerful to use to one's advantage that really makes our lives easier and its a privilege to have such tool at our disposal. I'm at a stage where I have been trying to utilise BIMx to better communicate my designs with my clients and based on a few experiments, my clients are loving it. Some Architects should stop being arrogant with their old ways and try and get involved in the BIM world a bit more and actually know how it all works rather than asking people stupid questions like many of you have mentioned.

What annoys me even more is why do we have to send the local council a set of 2D plans in order to get an approval? why can't we just send them a BIMx-Hyper model which is easier and really try to utilise the power of this software.
Learn and get certified!