Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Auto cut top of wall to slab over

Too Long
Enthusiast
Hi All.

Ive recently moved from a practice with an excellent template to one with a poor template and Id like to update it but cant work out a few things.
In the previous template, where a slab was drawn above wall and that wall extended above the slabs home storey, the slab would automatically cut the wall, similar to SOE with Upwards Extrustion.

Id like to replicate this but cant work out for to do it. The Building Materials of the walls are weaker than the slab. The wall composite is made of 3 skins, brick, air, brick.
The slab is a strong Building Material of a single composite.

I hope this made sense. Can you guys help me out here?

Thanks.

AC26 AUS Full
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Too wrote:
Im pretty sure this is a circa AC13 template that was never updated, just opened in a new version of AC and saved. Could this be the issue?

If it is an old file then it is probably using 'Legacy' mode so there are no automatic connections.
Have a look in OPTIONS munu > Project Preferences Legacy.
Turn of the option for Legacy Intersection.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jakubc7
Advocate
I'm not aware of any way to automatically "Subtract with upwards extrusion" or anything similar. However as you mentioned, you should be able to subtract a building material with another one that has a stronger priority.
Couple of things to check:
- make sure elements are on the same Renovation Phase
- ensure that the layers have the exact same number for the layer priority (under Layers Management menu)
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
Barry Kelly
You can't link a wall to a slab, but you can link it to a storey.
And if you set the height to "Top & Home Offsets" you can specify an offset distance from the storey.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Too Long
Enthusiast
Thanks for your help guys.

So I was mistaken, the wall isnt cutout such as in SOE, my apologies.

But, when the top of the wall is at the same height as the top of the slab it isnt visible, as if the slab is cutting out the wall. See the first pic. This is what im trying to achieve.
In the second pic you can see the wall is at the same height as the top of the slab but still visible, as if its not cut by the slab. This is what im trying to avoid.
Does this help?

AC26 AUS Full
Too Long
Enthusiast
And just another example.

The wall to the left should have the top cut by the slab and the wall to the right should have it bottom cut by the slab.
thanks again guys.

AC26 AUS Full
Barry Kelly
The walls should be trimmed by the slab so long as the building materials in the slab are stronger than those in the walls.

If that is not happening, check the Intersection Priority number in the layer settings for the layers of the slab and the walls.
If they are in the same layer, they should trim - unless the IP number is set to 0 (zero), then they won't.
If they are in different layers that should trim if the IP numbers for both layers are the same - if they are different they will not trim.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Too Long
Enthusiast
Thanks Barry!!

Just logged off for the night but will report back tomorrow.

Thanks for that.

AC26 AUS Full
Too Long
Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help guys but its still not working.

Id like to upload a copy of the template for you to investigate. Whats the best way to do this?

AC26 AUS Full
Too Long
Enthusiast
I had an idea and copied the walls and slab from the template that wasnt working to the template that did work and it worked perfectly. This is due to the building materials strength.

But regardless of the strength setting in the offending template it dosnt work.

Im pretty sure this is a circa AC13 template that was never updated, just opened in a new version of AC and saved. Could this be the issue?

AC26 AUS Full
Solution
Barry Kelly
Too wrote:

If it is an old file then it is probably using 'Legacy' mode so there are no automatic connections.
Have a look in OPTIONS munu > Project Preferences Legacy.
Turn of the option for Legacy Intersection.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27