Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beam’s display with different levels

GOBA
Booster
Hi,

I have a model with wood beams. Joists are placed over the beam:

In the floor plan, the display is not accurate, because some lines are missing:

Is it possible to show them automatically? I am a little confused. I don’t know what I should expect from the model, and what I have to do manually in 2D.

Regards,

GOBA
ArchiCAD user since November 2109
AC24, Windows 10
13 REPLIES 13
GOBA
Booster
I am playing with jonction order, but I don't get it
AC24, Windows 10
Barry Kelly
I think you will find that because the beam and the rafters intersect with each other in 3D, the contour lines will merge in plan.
Obviously you do not want to separate them as this would make your model incorrect.

But there is a way to trick it into believing that are not intersecting.
I am assuming the beam and rafters are in the same layer or maybe different layers that have the same Intersection Priority Number.

Place them in different layers and change the IP number for one of these layers so it is different from the other.
Remember that this IP number is also stored in the layer combinations, so you will have to make sure they are set up correctly as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
The new beams and cover fills is helping with plan views, but I still find the presentation order a bit tricky. For my roof framing drawings I tend to use the 3D document from plan option as this gives a true view without having to juggle elements & layers. It does have some dimensioning issues but these can usually be easily worked round.

Just a suggestion depending on what you want to achieve. Read about 3D document from plan here... https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/65370/
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
GOBA
Booster
Hi Barry!
Barry wrote:
I think you will find that because the beam and the rafters intersect with each other in 3D, the contour lines will merge in plan.
Obviously you do not want to separate them as this would make your model incorrect.
Yes.
Barry wrote:
But there is a way to trick it into believing that are not intersecting.
I am assuming the beam and rafters are in the same layer or maybe different layers that have the same Intersection Priority Number.

Place them in different layers and change the IP number for one of these layers so it is different from the other.
Remember that this IP number is also stored in the layer combinations, so you will have to make sure they are set up correctly as well.

Barry.
I have tried, and it works. Thanks! But I wouldn’t like to have to use more layers than necessary, for this reason…

What I don’t understand, is why it’s not working the “junction order” of the beam’s menu. It seems it works similarly (assigning a number), but for particular elements. Could it be a bug? Is there a place in this forum dedicated to bugs, or should I write to my seller, to check it?
AC24, Windows 10
GOBA
Booster
DGSketcher wrote:
The new beams and cover fills is helping with plan views, but I still find the presentation order a bit tricky. For my roof framing drawings I tend to use the 3D document from plan option as this gives a true view without having to juggle elements & layers. It does have some dimensioning issues but these can usually be easily worked round.

Just a suggestion depending on what you want to achieve. Read about 3D document from plan here... https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/65370/
Hi DGSketcher! I didn’t know 3D documents. I am going to review the documentation. Thanks!
AC24, Windows 10
Barry Kelly
GOBA wrote:
What I don’t understand, is why it’s not working the “junction order” of the beam’s menu. It seems it works similarly (assigning a number), but for particular elements. Could it be a bug? Is there a place in this forum dedicated to bugs, or should I write to my seller, to check it?

Junction order only affects when you have 3 or more walls or beams where the reference lines of all the walls intersect.
It is a way if prioritising which walls or beams will join first with which other walls or beams.
Higher priorities join first.

Yes please report it as a bug to your local support.
It has been mentioned here so maybe someone from GS might be kind enough to pick up on it.

I did report it during Beta testing but I can't recall what the outcome was going to be - if it will be fixed or not.
And I can't access the bug reports now.

The more people that report a problem, the more likely it is to get looked at.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
GOBA
Booster
Hi, thanks for answering (I am very happy with this forum, I hope one day I can also help).

I am going to report it, because it should be working:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/65246/#XREF_57655_Beam_Beam_Junctions
AC24, Windows 10
Barry Kelly
It seems the junction order also controls the order the beams trim in 3D - if they are both the same building materials).

This will not however affect the contour line display in 2D.
Maybe it should.

But it should be a simple matter that the top surface of one beam is above the other - therefore the contour lines for the upper beam should be complete.
Archicad does not see this though.
It just sees two cover fills that are the same so it merges them.
Only when the beams are completely separated in height will the contour lines (cover fills) become independent of each other and not merge.

To me this is a bug.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
GOBA
Booster
Thanks Barry!

I marked the topic as solved, but it was an error , because it isn’t. Can I undo it?
AC24, Windows 10