Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Brick catenary arches

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

i've been reacquainting myself with Archicad after a few years of using other programs. After hearing about it's new shell and morph commands, i decided to give it another go. I'm currently doing my final year project where my structure basically consists of a series of large catenary arches, not too dissimilar from a brick viaduct. I would have normally modelled something like this on rhino/sketchup and the drafting in autocad but since time is tight, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by using virtual building program such as Archicad. I was no expert using AC before so yet again I feel like a bit of a novice!

I have tried 2 different approaches to drawing the arches. The first was using the shell command and extruding a spline profile to form the arch, then lifting it upright and moving it into a straight brick wall of the same thickness. I then used the Trim Elements to Shell command to form the arch opening in the wall. http://postimg.org/image/tbbmjb8uf/
This seems relatively straightforward but my main problems is trying to align a brick texture to follow the line of the arch. I would maybe like to use the sketch renderer but cant get the proper textures on the arch.

The second approach was using the morph command. Again, I drew a spline, offset it, closed the profile and extruded it to form the arch morph object. I saved the morph in the library as a door but when applying it to a wall, the opening is the rectangular extent around the object and not the arch. Frustrating! The photo shows what i mean:

The morph allowed me to draw panels along the face of the arch, where I could apply textures individually and align them along the curve of the arch to some degree of accuracy. However, when trying a quick render, the textures were back at their default position as shown in the photos.

Sorry for the long message, I hope its clear what I am trying to achieve! Can anyone shed any light on this or maybe suggest a better way of drawing the arches? I also have Artlantis, is that a better way to apply textures? Any help would me much appreciated, I feel like i have wasted a lot time trying to get this and deadlines are fast approaching!
http://postimg.org/image/d61sa05mb/
http://postimg.org/image/vrkkl5a0h/
21 REPLIES 21
Dwight
Newcomer
You won't get precise texture mapping on shells, morphs or any distorted surfaces since Archicad is poor with UV challenges.

I suggest that you actually model your brickwork on the arch sides and use texture mapping only on walls above. Achieve this by making a complex profile fill of the individual tapered blocks arranged in the complex profile editing window. Use this fill to define a beam drawn across rather than along the span.
brick arch.png
Dwight Atkinson
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
i recently programmed a window-library Part for arches - round and segment.

You can download it in Archicad by opening the window-tool - and left obove You type in: "Fensteröffnung Bogen 16 inkl Bogenmauerwerke" - and let it search in the Bim-Server.

Then You can put in this library-part in Your wall.
You can drag the startpoint of the Arch . the numbers of needet bricks ares calculatet.

little Video-Tut..

youtu.be/ILYAOOybUCc
(dont mention my "englisch to runaway" - i am still learning..for the rest of my live..)
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
You won't get precise texture mapping on shells, morphs or any distorted surfaces since Archicad is poor with UV challenges.

I suggest that you actually model your brickwork on the arch sides and use texture mapping only on walls above. Achieve this by making a complex profile fill of the individual tapered blocks arranged in the complex profile editing window. Use this fill to define a beam drawn across rather than along the span.
Thanks for your help Dwight, that worked well! Do you have any suggestions on how I could possibly map a texture on the face of the arch? Would I better off using something like Artlantis?

Incidentally, when using Lightworks engine, the texture is aligned how I want it to be but that was by using the morph method to create the arch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Danke Heimo!

That's a really great custom element. I just watched your video and will experiment a little!

Unfortunately i'm looking to do a catenary (Kettenlinie?) arch and I think yours is strictly semi-circular? Maybe I should change my design because yours works really well!
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
The matehmatics of an catenary (Kettenlinie?) is still too complicated for me ( i thoght about ropes - thats mathematicly just the other way round).

If it would be possible for me to calculate exact differences on a hyperbolic curve this would be nearest to it i think. But that takes till july and august, when i will have more Time.. Its just a hobby now..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Dwight
Newcomer
Artlantis does have more mapping options and easy visual adjustment for textures, but I am always nervous when it comes to mapping masonry.

BTW: For LightWorks rendering, you'll want to call up a special procedural surface, not the default brick. See attached for the path "Load from Archive" and then set the shader - it gives you choices as to the brick arrangement flawlessly.

But why not model each brick?

Then you have perfect control. [You array brick-shaped fills on the elevation of your arch and copy the fills to the complex profile windo...
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting background there, Dwight.

Edit: comment now irrelevant. Let's just say Dwight beat the censor
Gaudi told me he uses Autodesk Inventor and Revit.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Dwight
Newcomer
And here is the little-leather-sag-bag method for catenary generation from Gaudi's Sagrada Familia exhibition.
catenary with weights.jpg
Dwight Atkinson