BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Brick ledge height and adjustable brick veneer in complex profile walls alternatives.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Newbie and first time posting...

We build with stem wall foundations that include a brick ledge. The wall above a foundation needs to have the brick veneer come down and sit on the concrete foundation brick ledge.

Like this -> At the moment I’m having to create complex profile walls for each type of floor thickness for the upper floors and various complex profiles for the different height brick ledges I have for my foundation walls.

Is there a better way where I can control how far down I want my brick veneer to go on my upper walls, and how deep I want my brick ledge on the foundation wall without having to create multiple complex profiles?

I tried creating a double wall, one for the structure wall and one for the brick veneer wall but then windows and doors don’t behave well. That is ,I have to go around and create window openings on the exterior brick veneer for the windows and doors to show through.
6 REPLIES 6
poco2013
Mentor
I's a problem in Arch 21 but Arch 22, according to video's, will allow parametric profile modifiers. See video on YouTube
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Karl Ottenstein
poco2013 wrote:
I's a problem in Arch 21 but Arch 22, according to video's, will allow parametric profile modifiers. See video on YouTube
Specifically, this video:
https://youtu.be/8g4axEWxprY?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUJmDnD8UGZKPyR9tm4ge8H

Indeed, this is one of the most powerful additions to AC 22, Michael. You'll be able to have one profile for the brick wall and one profile for the footing/stem wall/ledge, all stretchy as you model, vs the dozen(s) of profiles you might need in AC 21 and earlier.

No release date has been announced yet that I know of; AC 21 was available to download in the US on June 21 last year, so I would expect something similar for 22. Hey, maybe even June 22 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!
That’s exactly what I would need.
Can’t wait for the next version.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Is it not possible to get the BM of the foundation (/air gap) to crop the BM of the wall (/insulation)? In which case you'd just need the one complex profile of a concrete footing which has a vertical stretch restricted to the veneer ledge depth, unless that varies in thickness too? I'm not that experienced in all the related building methods, so I maybe I'm just missing everything...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
22 will solve your problems perfectly for this situation.

But in the mean time I would create separate complex profiles for the cavity wall and the concrete footing (foundation wall).
That way you can have a foundation wall with a vertical stretch for the brick step down, and a horizontal stretch for the brick ledge width if you want.
That means only those portions stretch as you change the wall height and thickness.
Otherwise you need many complex profiles for the various sizes required.
Make sure the foundation wall includes an empty cavity fill to cut the insulation in the cavity wall.

Then have a complex profile for the cavity wall.

So long as the building material strengths for the fills in the foundation complex profile and the floor slab are stronger than those used in the cavity wall, the concrete wall should cut away the lower portion of the wall framework.

If you want to include the bottom stud for the framing then I would include that in the foundation wall profile (again stronger building material than the cavity wall fills).
Otherwise you will need to create many cavity wall complex profiles for all the various step down heights.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
My experience of stepping walls hasn't been good, I don't think I was alone with the problem either. I generally found that if you overlap complex profiles e.g. the outer skin projects down from its home storey to overlap with the foundation storey "upstand" then AC was prone to project the outer skin to the extent of the foundation profile. From the opening post this may not be an issue but in situations where the foundation profile is wider than the wall above it could cause presentation problems. The only solution I found was to have a strict cut off of the complex profiles at storey level.

Hoping this is fixed in AC22?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!