Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Brick on edge window sill texture displaying mortar joints in one direction only

mthd
Ace

Hi, I am having problem trying to display my brick on edge window sill textures. I can use a brick surface texture that has no mortar joints in it but it’s not the color that I want to display.

I am using the aged natural brick texture for the walls and they display correctly. When I use that particular texture for brick on edge window sills, I get the mortar joints showing horizontally that I do not want to show. I am only using a single length brick so I don’t need to show horizontal mortar joints only vertical ones. 

How can I edit the aged natural brick texture so that it becomes a surface only with no mortar joints ? Is that possible or do I need to find another aged natural surface brick texture with no mortar joints in it ? What are others doling to solve this problem ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
NAAY = Not An Ace Yet
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Lingwisyer
Guru

If you do not mind each aged brick looking identical, you could just do a simple square crop of your texture to isolate a single brick. If the mortar colour is uniform, you could alternatively use a rough mask and offset your alternate courses to create a stacked / soldier bond.

Hm... The image used for Brick Aged 1 GS is tiny...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

View solution in original post

Solution

Is there an aged stack bond brick material in the surface catalogues?

Otherwise you have to use what you have now or edit an aged brick texture image file in something like PhotoShop to create the stack bond image with no vertical mortar joints.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
aarkell
Enthusiast

Can you provide some screenshots for reference?

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060
HP Z6 G4 Workstation | Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226R CPU @ 2.90GHz | Windows 10
mthd
Ace

Yes, this shows what I am describing above as a reference.

Edit: (Image removed)

Notice the contrast between the red brick sill and aged natural sill ? The red brick sill surface texture has no mortar joints in it so it displays correctly with an added mortar joint texture set to a light concrete texture. 

If I could just get a texture of an aged natural brick surface with no mortar joints in it that would do the trick. I will keep hunting for an image of one, if I can’t find it how would I zoom into my existing brick texture to just show the surface of a single brick only ?

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet
Solution
Lingwisyer
Guru

If you do not mind each aged brick looking identical, you could just do a simple square crop of your texture to isolate a single brick. If the mortar colour is uniform, you could alternatively use a rough mask and offset your alternate courses to create a stacked / soldier bond.

Hm... The image used for Brick Aged 1 GS is tiny...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Solution

Is there an aged stack bond brick material in the surface catalogues?

Otherwise you have to use what you have now or edit an aged brick texture image file in something like PhotoShop to create the stack bond image with no vertical mortar joints.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks @Lingwisyer, yes I just want to use the aged natural above shown on the wall as well.

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

Thanks @Barry Kelly, No stack bond for aged natural in the catalogue. That's what I will have to do by the looks ?

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

I know it is technically not correct, but I just use the same material as the wall.

Otherwise, yes, you will have to create one.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
mthd
Ace

I found a free photo editing app on the App Store site but it would only let me crop down to 200% only. I do have photo shop somewhere on my other computer to edit the image, if I wanted a purely surface brick texture.

I think I am happy to just use that same texture on the sills but it needs to be rotated 90 degrees to work. I just duplicated the texture and called it brick X rotated etc. 

I found some nice old brick textures for free on the SketchUp Texture website. You just need to register and create an account to download them.

Thank you very much to SketchUp Trimble for providing this service.

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

That’s very cool @Lingwisyer, I wouldn’t know how to start with an Archimaster technique like the one you just described above. 

NAAY = Not An Ace Yet