BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Calculate questions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm beginning to look into the calculate menu. I'm trying to have it take the lengths of an object. Is that possible? I'll recheck what I've done so far. My reseller is on vacation this week. This might be a more involved question now I think about it.

If anyone could tell me if the calculate menu can get the length from an object , I'd be thankful.

Thanks again,
Michele
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another question:
I was checking how I set up my database for metal studs. I set it up so the Quantity is 1 the unit is pieces and the reference quantity is length. This should then count 1 piece for every 1'-0" of length of wall, right? It's giving me the length multiplied by 12. What the heck am I doing wrong? I also put gyp board and to calculate for a surface and that's working fine.

Thanks for any insight,
Michele
Anonymous
Not applicable
I knew I should of waited a minute and tried something else first I wouldn't have to bother you guys but maybe sending the message triggers me to look in different places.

I found out if I change my preferences for calculation units to read in decimal feet then my calculations work.

Thanks anyway,
Michele
Djordje
Ace
Michele wrote:
If anyone could tell me if the calculate menu can get the length from an object , I'd be thankful.
Did you try Element info? Hidden under Windows/Floating palettes?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I have a wall that has gyp board until 6" above ceiling finish on 1 side and the gyp bd to structure on the other side then what is the best way to model the wall in archicad so I get correct material sq feet for the surfaces of the walls? Do I have to model each wall to 6" above ceiling and link that to a wall with gyp bd on both sides, Then put wall on top of that to structure with gyp bd on 1 side and link that to another wall type? Sounds like a lot of work to me. Is there a better way to get accurate material measurements?

just trying to get out of doing more work than is necessary
Thanks,
Michele
Karl Ottenstein
Michele wrote:
If I have a wall that has gyp board until 6" above ceiling finish on 1 side and the gyp bd to structure on the other side then what is the best way to model the wall in archicad so I get correct material sq feet for the surfaces of the walls? Do I have to model each wall to 6" above ceiling and link that to a wall with gyp bd on both sides, Then put wall on top of that to structure with gyp bd on 1 side and link that to another wall type? Sounds like a lot of work to me. Is there a better way to get accurate material measurements?

just trying to get out of doing more work than is necessary
Thanks,
Michele
Hi Michele,

A post I made in another forum/thread may be of interest to you:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3776#3776

I would probably go the custom property script route as in that post rather than model as you describe above, but doing it all in the model works, too. It is a bit of work whichever way you go, but hopefully it is work that can be re-used in the future.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!