Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can I buy ARCHICAD 14 and downgrad to use 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I buy ARCHICAD 14 and downgrad to use 11 ?
4 REPLIES 4
Erich
Contributor
Once you have a copy of ArchiCAD you can use your key to run any previous version. However, you will need to get a copy of the earlier version first. Your reseller should be able to provide you with a copy or a location to download one.

Alternately, you can upgrade an old version file (such as an AC 11 file) to become an new file (such as AC 14).
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a new user, this concept may be the most shocking thing about Archicad that I will ever learn. I don't think that I've ever heard of another program that did not work with files made by previous versions. Obviously, new features would not be inherent in the opened older file, but the files would open and be usable.
Am I understanding that... what you buy is all you get?
I sure hope that isn't the case.
Eduardo Rolon
FYI Archicad lets you downgrade a file (there are specific ways to do this) what it does not do is ship with all other previous versions in the DVD. So if you need to save a 14 file down to AC7 you can do it with all the problems of losing specific features along the way.

You can work in 14 and keep doing a save as as 13 if you want. If you want and have access to the program you can install AC11 and use it as your main program as Erich suggested. What you cannot do is edit a preference like in Autocad and set the default save to a specific version.

Some Programs that do not let you downgrade a file to previous versions, once you save the file there is no turning back:

3D Studio
Revit
InDesign
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
owoody wrote:
I don't think that I've ever heard of another program that did not work with files made by previous versions. Obviously, new features would not be inherent in the opened older file, but the files would open and be usable.
Am I understanding that... what you buy is all you get?
I sure hope that isn't the case.
Not sure where you got this idea? You can open any previous version file. If that file was saved as a PLA it is easy. If not, you may need to find the old libraries. If the file is really old...remember that ArchiCAD is over 25 years old...you may need a free intermediate version to convert partway and then open the result in the current version.

So, no, you have it completely wrong. Not only can you open old files, but what you buy is not all you get. As another poster commented, your key can run all older versions (up to a point...see the wiki).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB