Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can SEOs be suspended?

Bill
Contributor
I have used SEO to carve a corner away from a model of a building, allowing a glimpse inside the building while keeping it an exterior 3d view. I did this by putting a large slab on a separate SEO layer, performing the operation with the slab on a number of elements, and then turning off the SEO layer... voila, looks great.

I want to also be able to see the whole building, though, without the carving, in separate view Is there a way to suspend the operation of the SEO? If not, I guess I'll have to delete the slab and then do a new SEO each time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
Instead of using SEO you should draw a "Marquee" with the Bold option in the floor plan to select what you want then use "show selected/marquee" option in the view menu.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Bill
Contributor
I normally do, but in this case I can't see how I would use the marquee because the carving only takes out the upper portion of the corner (see attached). If i use the marquee the whole corner, on all stories would be removed.
Bill Szustak RA

Eduardo Rolon
Ok, that is a tricky one

Have you tried using a combination of cutting planes?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would think cutting planes would be able to accomplish this.
JaredBanks
Mentor
There is a glitch that you can exploit to do something like this. I wrote a post about this a while back:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2011/06/19/conditional-operators/

But it is definitely finicky, more so in v15 than in v14.

What about saving out a second file for the cut away image? Or loading/unloading a hotlink which is the operator in an SEO? Don't have time to muck with that option at the moment to know if it'd work.

Perhaps hotlink the model into another file and use a shell or roof to trim to roof the hotlinked model. Then place that view in the original file? That way if the model is revised, the cut view can be updated too.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Eduardo Rolon
+1 to the hotlink option.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Bill
Contributor
Thanks for the thoughts, guys... will play around with it.

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
If you use one of the literal definitions of SUSPENDED, yes... Simply RAISE the slab /cutting thing by 100' or so when you want to view the model intact.

Otherwise, you could theoretically save the cutting elements as an object and use MVO's to disable the 3d (or raise it)... There are some new special commands to modify objects with the MVO settings.

Hmmm... is there a way to "trick" it on/off with Renovation Filter.... I'll have to check and see if there's an SEO disabler in Reno Filter.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
Place the marquee in 3D. There you can (have to) set the top and bottom heights. The key trick is that the initial height will be at the current user origin (shift + option/alt at a detectable point, no click needed). You can then stretch it up or down from there.