Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can a .lck file be retrieved once the project was closed?

Jefferson
Participant
major dumb SH!_ move here.........I had a bunch of programs running and in closing them all down I accidentally closed a session of AC without saving, after oh, about 4 hours of intense & valuable work......unbelievable but sadly true.

I am wondering if the .lck files generated as what I have always assumed are autosave associated, once discarded or trashed, can be retrieved, [from where ever they go], and be used to get back to where I was...........maybe this should go on my wish list, but if someone knows where I can find it, assuming it's still "out there", and unless otherwise cautioned, I can give it a go at least.

Heading to the beach to walk the dog and berate myself outside........
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
12 REPLIES 12
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hey Jeff

The .lck file is just a tiny lock file that detects you as being in the project, to prevent others from possibly opening it & overwriting your good work. You may have seen the 'This project is in use by 'Mr-I-Don't-Need-to-Save' @ His Computer'.... Open with Exclusive Access/Don't Open/ Open as Read-Only' Information warning? That lck file causes that warning to appear if you try and open the file twice or if someone else tries to open it at the same time. So the.lck file ain't gonna help you retrieve data.

If you effectively crashed out of ArchiCAD, there should be an autosave document stored on your machine. The actual path is set in your work environment profile under Company Standards Schemes> Data Safety> AutoSave Folder. Mine is set to C:\Users\Link\Graphisoft, so your may be similar. I HOPE that you have autosave turned on! There should be an @Global.T file in there somewhere which is an exact copy of your project as of the last autosave. It is a good idea to copy that file out to your desktop, just in case!

[There could be multiple autosave folders if you crashed out with multiple projects open]

In any case, ArchiCAD should prompt you to rescue that file once you start ArchiCAD again.

Cheers, Link.
Eduardo Rolon
This is a long shot. If you have not opened AC (or closed it per the wiki article) yet there might be some autosaved files in your Graphisoft folder under your user name.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Recovering%20project%20data%20after%20mistaken%20exit?highlight=%28AutoSave%29
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Jefferson
Participant
Thanks Mates! Unfortunately, [and how often will you hear this], I didn't crash..........I simply clicked on the"X", which I never do religously closing out file>save>save>exit. My head was somewhere else.......completely, apparently. Not so stupid as to not run autosave, not smart enough to recall where to find it, partially having never needed it before.

And yes autosave is set, every 15 seconds, however I oh-so-stupidly had reopened Archicad just before reading this post, sssooooooo, the autosave file is/was now only related to the last open AC file. Closing the just opened file emptied the autosave folder. Any chance I might have had is now gone fo good

This post will self-destruct in 12 hours so laugh it up while you have the chance and learn from my mistakes mates
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
There's nothing wrong with hitting the X (Close) button, if you're talking about the one in the top right corner of the application. That's the same thing as closing the window. And if the current window is the floor plan, then it will close the project and exit the application. Unless you have just saved and done no work since, ArchiCAD will prompt you to 'Save Changes' as usual.

So did you save or did you ignore the prompt?

Cheers,
Link.
Ignore Me.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
"...I accidentally closed a session of AC without saving..."

Unfortunately it's gone. You LOST all. When you closed AC it ERASED the entire folder named "ArchiCAD AutoSave Folder"...It contains a sub folder "@ODB_ObjectSetsxxxxxxxxxx and 3 files, one of this is your .lck file "@Global.T") . Now if you started AC again it will create an empty folder with that name in the same place.

Maybe some program for UDELETE FILES could restore that file (@Global.T), but you MUST USE IT BEFORE starting AC again!
Eduardo Rolon
At a minimum the second time around takes less work since all the decisions are already taken.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
andro55 wrote:
"...I accidentally closed a session of AC without saving..."

Unfortunately it's gone. You LOST all. When you closed AC it ERASED the entire folder named "ArchiCAD AutoSave Folder"...It contains a sub folder "@ODB_ObjectSetsxxxxxxxxxx and 3 files, one of this is your .lck file "@Global.T") . Now if you started AC again it will create an empty folder with that name in the same place.

Maybe some program for UDELETE FILES could restore that file (@Global.T), but you MUST USE IT BEFORE starting AC again!
Way to make him feel better!!!

Remember Jeff, beer is always your friend...

Cheers,
Link.
Jefferson
Participant
Link, 'fraid you know me all to well.

A few more posts here since I stepped out check on my new best "friends" in the refer. Not hitting "save" instead of AND hitting "don't save", [worse than ignoring the promt], which in some zombi-like state I clicked on instead was the "......major dumb SH!_ move....." on my part and I suspect/hope/pray I won't do this again. We tend to remember the hard lessons best.

Time to go rebuild what was from memory, and indeed it should be faster the second time through.....
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Barry Kelly
Link wrote:
Remember Jeff, beer is always your friend...
Maybe beer was Jeff's problem in the first place?

I'll just ...Hic!... shut down this ...Hic!... application ...Hic!
Was I ...Hic!... supposed to ...Hic!... press that ...Hic!... button?

All said jokingly of course.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11