BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can not open file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am running ArchiCAD 12 an I would like to open a old old file (not 100% sure as to when it was created, I think it was in 2000), but it wont let me into the file. I keep getting the error.

"Cannot read old document version. (6.6)"

anyone can help me? or know how to get into this file.

thks~
6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon
Here you go

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

Taking a guess it looks like you have an AC6.5 file.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes i meant 6.5, thks will give it a go
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any other method to do this? its not working, as im running a student version
Eduardo Rolon
Student versions can only be opened in the same student version or newer up to AC09. Until version 09 there was a dedicated file type for students versions and they will NEVER open in regular AC nor will they open in AC10 Student version. A student file created in AC10 or later can be opened in regular AC but it will switch to student and you cannot copy/paste to a regular/non-student version.

In your case you should have either a xx.PNE or xx.PLE file the only programs that can open those files are either AC06 to AC09 Student Versions none of the translators will work since they are for regular AC and will not recognize the format.

Your hope is to find someone with the appropriate STUDENT version and try to bring forward only up to AC09, export as IFC if possible and see if it can be imported in full AC or get in touch with your reseller and see if there is a way that GS could help you out.

-----
See http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=203619

and

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD10
File formats
EDU and commercial project files will have the same file format (.PLN), but EDU files have an irremovable logo at the top right corner. This logo will be present on all printouts. Because the new EDU file format is the same as the full, the Archicad 10 EDU version are NOT compatible with the previous educational versions and does NOT read (˛.PNE, .PAE ...) files created with earlier educational versions.

Compatibility issues
EDU project files can be opened with a commercial version of Archicad. In this case, Archicad switches to EDU mode. The logo cannot be removed. Commercial project files can be opened with an EDU version of Archicad. In this case the logo is added, and cannot be removed later. Besides 'Open', no other data exchange (copy, paste, merge, hotlink…) is allowed between EDU and commercial project files.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Maysum wrote:
Is there any other method to do this? its not working, as im running a student version
or you mean that you are running AC12 student, the original file is AC regular and you cannot run the translators since they need a license to run?

If so you can get in touch with someone that has a key to bring up the file.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Maysum wrote:
or you mean that you are running AC12 student, the original file is AC regular and you cannot run the translators since they need a license to run?

If so you can get in touch with someone that has a key to bring up the file.
Ya I am running ArchiCAD AC12 Student, and the files i want to use are AC regular but from a much older Version of AC. Ya will need to find someone with a licence to help me upgrade these files.

Thanks for your help.
Learn and get certified!