BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can you link an external view directly to a Detail Marker?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently I have a pln containing a host of details saved to views. I have then linked them to drawings placed in layout in another pln. I have been trying to figure out how to get a detail marker to link to those drawings. It does not seem to recognize the external view as a detail even though it is a detail in the external file.

I have tried all the AC10 detail markers. Can only get them to link to saved views and drawings from details originating in the current pln.

Am I making that clear? Am I heading down a dead end with this? Would just be so much faster to link drawings this way instead of creating new detail views every time I start a project. I can just right click a drawing already placed in layout and link it to my master detail pln.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It can't yet be done unfortunately. If you make a poll for it under the Wishes section, I am sure it will get a lot of votes and help us get it included in future versions!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response Link.

I will post a poll if there isn't already one...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know it's a (small) pain but why not just copy / paste the detail to a new detail window in the current project?

Not sure of the workings, but would the external file (containing the detail) have to remember links to all other projects to which it might be referenced? Or would it just be a background copy or something? Am i being understood? Or going down the wrong path....?
Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as cutting and pasting into new details, yeah, that is what I currently do. Just thought I was possibly missing an easier way.

I was trying to just keep a live link to a permanent details .pln on the server. Could alway embed the drawing at some point I guess. Justs seems strange that the detail tool only links to details. Would be quite a bit handier if I could link it to any drawing in the layout book not just details set up in the root file.

Thanks,
Greg
Brett Brown
Advocate
Can this be done in AC 11 now?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. You can link to placed drawings in the layouts directly now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The function of link with detail marker is very nice and useful.
But very complicate.
I wish to read about tip in ArchicadWiki.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
g.h.design wrote:
Yes. You can link to placed drawings in the layouts directly now.
You culd do this in AC10 too, but it is still limited to the layout in the same project right? There's no way to link details to an external project.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

In AC10 I was limited to linking to a drawing based on an internal independent detail.

In AC11 I can link to a drawing irregardless of whether or not it comes from an independent detail. That means I can link any old drawing even if it is linked from an external source. That make one less work-around for me and my external detail drawings.
Learn and get certified!