Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Change Cedar Siding from Brown to Gray

Anonymous
Not applicable
The cedar siding I have is brown. I want to make it gray. What are the necessary steps to achieve this change in color? I am making a Complex Profile Wall. The cedar needs to be a solid gray stain color.

Help?

Thanks - Greg
12 REPLIES 12
alemanda
Advocate
You have change the texture in a photoeditor. Save it with another name and load it in the library. Then use this texture in the surface editor.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
alemanda,

If I understand what you are telling me. The correct way to get gray cedar siding is to change its color in, lets say.. Adobe Photoshop, then save it again.
OR I suppose I could locate a seamless gray cedar siding on the internet and import it.

Am I thinking about this the right way?

Thanks - Greg
alemanda
Advocate
The concept is: if you want to have different color and/or texture you have to add it into the library the related jpg/png/tif picture.
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
DGSketcher
Legend
If you have modelled the siding then you can override the surface colour easily by selecting the complex profile and applying an override to the fill.

If you are using patterned textures then as Alemanda has suggested you will need to either edit the the texture or check if there is one in your textures library which hasn't been added to the model yet. I frequently need to add C4D textures for these kind of finishes.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi-
I already have the cedar texture/surface I want in my drawing. It is currently on the exterior wall of the house I'm working on. It is BROWN in color. I want it to be GRAY in color. How do I make it gray? The texture is fine.

Thanks - Greg
alemanda
Advocate
Open the brown texture it in photoshop.
Change the color of the picture into a gray tone.
Save it with another name and load into your current library.
Reload the library.
Duplicate the surface (brown color)
Change the associated texture from the brown to gray one.
Hope it is clear.
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately I do not have Photoshop. Is there another way?

Thanks-Greg
alemanda
Advocate
Any photo editor is good.
Paint.net, Gimp are examples. Good and free to use
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Karl Ottenstein
Greg wrote:
Unfortunately I do not have Photoshop. Is there another way?

Thanks-Greg
Since you're on a Mac, you have the built in Preview app. Tools > Adjust Color gives you some control - perhaps enough? You also have the built-in Photos app, although that requires adding the image to your Photos library and then exporting after editing.

If neither of those gets the result you need, then consider the alternatives such as alemanda mentioned.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB