BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Changing room dimensions?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.
Im new to building design and Archicad and I am struggling to find a simple way to change room dimensions.
Most programs I have used you simply click on a wall then click on the dimension area and type what the dimension you need and the walls all adjust to the new dimension.
I know you can click on a wall and change the x y axis but the walls don't seem to link and the rooms end up a mess.
Any help or videos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi Brett,

In ARCHICAD we have a tool called the Marquee tool. You can use this to put a rubberband selection around multiple elements and then drag a given distance. In the case of walls, if you draw the Marquee around an entire wall from corner to corner and then drag it a given distance, it will stretch the adjoining walls along with it. See 1:53 of this video by Applecore designs:

HTH

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply. That is definitely more simple then the way I was doing it.
I have attached a video of how you can change the room dimensions with Revit. Was hoping Archicad could do something similar. The part I'm talking about is at 4mins 20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vGCniht8BE
KeesW
Advocate
I was very impressed with the Revit demo. Placing doors and windows, attaching gables to pitched roofs, all seem much easier than Archicad. Is there a downside to all this convenience?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'll pass this thread up the chain of command. A wish gets noticed the more weight it has. So please, if it is really important to you:

• Contact your local reseller and let them know you want this functionality.

• Visit the Wishes area of the forum and add to an existing wish or create a new one if you don't see anything like it.

- > Possible Related Wishes I could see (Go and Vote! And get others to vote!):
- - >
- - >
- - >

• And for my part I will start a conversation with our product managers. But the more supporting evidence they see from users the better.

We are all for adding conveniences. Some projects seem like they would be simple to implement, but can sometimes require a very large project to do so. So our product team is very careful about choosing which features to add. A single forum thread or two is okay for our product managers to understand the needs of our clients. Right now we see two voices here and maybe a few more in some other threads. But if our headquarters hear from their channel partners that you called them to request this, it helps greatly to underscore the importance of it.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Learn and get certified!