BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cliff Side Building

baki
Participant

Hello, I want to integrate multiple levels with the side of this cliff [ see images attached ], but if I try using the story setting it doesn't allow me to have story levels that overlap. I currently have two stories for ground floor and site. What solutions can you suggest please!

Screenshot 2023-12-26 142454.png

Screenshot 2023-12-26 142525.png

Screenshot 2023-12-26 142620.png

1 REPLY 1
Marc H
Advisor

Hi Baki,

If I understand correctly, you are attempting to structure multiple, 'split' levels in your model.  One way to approach it is to ask yourself for what levels do you need to produce floor plans, then incrementally build them in your story settings. (In such projects, I prefer to also position an additional, bottom story called "Datum". I use this as a base point for modeling certain elements.)  

For the project type you are sharing here, I put together a quick, (overly) simplistic example.  For the 'Site' story I use the lowest point of the parcel, but that is flexible depending on the unique nature of the site.  Note in the building story settings the split dimensions that make up actual stories.  Most full-height walls will be linked to alternate story levels.  Organizationally, the approach works fairly elegantly and provides concise control over elements.  One challenge with these types of projects, however, is the element Floor Plan Display choices are not very flexible (or consistent), so you may find some layout plan view limitations you will need to work with.  You may also need to tailor your floor plan cut heights. In some cases, you may need to create 'mosaic' layouts to include everything you want to show.  For example, an overall site plan with portions of one story floor plan and another of a roof in some combination with a given site level.

Note: GS states in their future release 'roadmap' that they plan some improvements for split level projects to make them easier.

I hope this helps.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Learn and get certified!