BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Coloured window panel, located in external skin of wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Coloured window panel, located in external skin of wall, which does not create a hole in the inner skin. at the moment we have a standard metal window and i have changed the colour of the glass, but i need to know how to create the coloured glass panel without effecting the inner skin, as the plan shows a window aperature incorrectly!

have looked at wallniche but everytime i insert a window in the niche it creates a hole through the whole wall. i don't want to infill the the inner wall with a slab or similiar but fear this may be my only option!!

any help appreciated, but i warn you now, i've only been using Archicad since January, i'm not a programmer so GDL scripting may be beyond my reach, but am willing to try anything!!

many thanks
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
JJ71:

I am not getting that problem with W Niche 11. Have you set the Depth to be less than the wall thickness? If so, post some screen shots with your window settings and 3D views, and include your ArchiCAD version.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David

thanks for your reply;

i've no problems creating a niche - setting depth to less than that of the wall total thickness thereby creating the niche that doesn't go through the whole wall.

its when i then insert a window into this niche, the window will then create a hole through the whole wall - is there a way of over-riding this to enable the window just to sit in the niche without projecting the hole all the way through? have looked in the window setup dialogue box but cannot find the relevant 'depth' box.....

Jon
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jon:

You have two openings in the wall, and they do not operate with each other. One work around is to create a small piece of wall that is the width, height and depth of the niche, place the window into this wall, and move this wall into the niche. This way, the niche operates on your main wall, the window operates on the wall inside the niche. If you posted some images of what you are trying to accomplish, then someone might have a more efficient or simpler way of getting this done.

If you plan to ask more questions here, please create a signature with your ArchiCAD version and platform (see mine for one example).

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
How about using a piece of wall the same size and depth as the niche you need, then SEO this away from the main wall. Put this wall on a hidden layer to turn it off.

Then place the window into another piece of wall the same size as the window you need (and same size as niche) then move into the right position in the wall.

Hope that helps!

(Please excuse the scappy images! )

edit - Ah, David beat me to it!
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for your help gents, shall try your suggestions! was hoping for something less intensive as i've about 30 of these panels - architectural feature!!
Djordje
Ace
Then create a wallniche with the panel ...

... as explained in the user manual 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
its worked beautifully..... thanks for all your help!!

Learn and get certified!