Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Community feedback: Distance Guides

Arpad Szabo
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi All!

We’re gathering feedback on a new experimental feature: Distance Guides!

Please see our brief illustrated survey: based on your intuition and logic, how should Distance Guides behave? No right or wrong answers here… we want to know how YOU think it should work. 

Not familiar with Distance Guides? Not a problem. In a nutshell: Distance Guides show the relative distance between elements in your plan.

IMPORTANT: You can participate even if you don’t use Distance Guides!

To start the survey, click the link below. Please do the survey before you go to the comment section!

UPDATE: The Distance Guides survey is now closed. We would like to thank all participants who took part in this research for their valuable contributions.

30 REPLIES 30

For me it is not about any confusion caused by the visual display but the limited scope of the development. As I said - we REALLY need the ability to position (and lock) elements in reference to another elements - like this point of this element should be X mm from that point of that element. So this is the expectation we as highly paying customers have when our CAD/BIM application that allege to be "world class" or "industry leading" announces a new feature like distance guides. But distance guides obviously doesn't live up to the expectations and doesn't really bring much else to the table. And it won't regardless of how much resources are sunk into getting it out of experimental status - because the placement of an element simply has too many possibilities for a function like distance guides to be quicker than the user can place the object by other means. This should have been obvious from the start and the fact that it despite that is pushed as a main new feature of AC27 (and then given experimental status) is quite worrying - where is the ambition and innovation?

mthd
Ace

DG’s while needing refinement are a proving very useful for me in my workflow. Yes you could have them work with special dynamic dimensions as mentioned above.

At this stage it would be good to be able to have some sort of mode to distinguish between stretchy and static mode. In stretchy mode everything stays connected as with a marquee when editing. Static mode does your move to a new distance and disconnects the elements where applicable. 

I will post a video on how pop up temporary dimensions behave in Chief Architect and even how dynamic dimensions that are on the plan can also move an element. 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5429/positioning-and-resizing-objects-using-dimensions.h...

In AC27 the dimension will change after an edit but in CA you can also move an element from the placed dimension by clicking on it. In other words it works like a two way switch.

Revit is similar to CA and over a decade ago they had a mass exodus to Revit because it was full BIM as well.

Editing walls in Revit video below.

https://youtu.be/5o7csbyyo3k?si=SVqcxm2AmFZZ_xw4

Edit: In Archicad you could click on an element and have the distance guide pop up with a pet pallet of at least two icons to choose between stretch or move.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd Thank you for sharing those videos. I think there are three big takes from them...

1. The competition already has dimension adjustment of elements working. This could have been coupled with the long established automatic dimensioning tool. It just shows how much GS are dropping the ball.

2. CA highlights that in any situation there may be more than one potential intended outcome and simply changing a dimension is not enough.

3. These adjustments work because the dimension is tied to specific element node, not randomly placed to a bounding box, which coupled with the selection process gives the intelligence to the options.

I am even more convinced that the DG tool is a superficial feature issued for marketing purposes to raise somebody's profile before they leave. Sorry, but stuffing up Archicad with pointless & experimental features is not something to be proud of when it comes to presenting your CV.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Tamas Samu
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hey folks, apologies for the delay. I love that there is an ongoing conversation under the post with creative ideas popping up, thanks for taking your time sharing them with us. I would also like to ask anyone who hasn't filled the survey to do so. It's an average 7 mins time.

@DGSketcher@thesleepofreason  I appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns. Distance guides are designed to help new and less experienced users; we understand that they may not be as useful for more experienced users like you. We worked with a number of users while planning and developing distance guides, which has been frequently requested as a feature. We realize that the current DG release is in still in the early stages of implementation, but we wanted to get it out as soon as possible for additional feedback from the wider user base. Thanks again for your input!

@Karl Ottenstein  Unfortunately this is not supported currently, but I fully agree with you, it does seem like a useful addition to distance guides. I have forwarded it to product management for future consideration.

@mthd  I am glad you find it useful in your daily work. As I mentioned in an earlier response DG is still in early stages of development, we hope we can improve upon this in the future following your feedbacks.

@DGSketcher@thesleepofreason  I appreciate your feedback and understand your concerns. Distance guides are designed to help new and less experienced users; we understand that they may not be as useful for more experienced users like you. We worked with a number of users while planning and developing distance guides, which has been frequently requested as a feature. We realize that the current DG release is in still in the early stages of implementation, but we wanted to get it out as soon as possible for additional feedback from the wider user base. Thanks again for your input!

This does not read good at all. So not only are functionality needed for a high efficiency modern workflow put on the backburner by MEP - now we also have aids for less experienced users getting in front? Are we professional users being naive when we expect GS to deliver a software that allows us to push our productivity to the next level? Is in fact our productivity capped by GS's desire to increase the number of users at the bottom?

Sorry Tamas, I'm trying not to shoot the messenger, but GS really are losing the plot. We know AC is complex, but adding yet another feature doesn't help simplifying the whole experience, which is the core of the problem. You can't argue for helping new and less experienced users with a box of crayons after GS have made the decision to load Archicad up as a multidisciplinary software full of stuff even us "more experienced" users don't understand or need. This suggestion of a need for DG is just utter rubbish as a development policy, and when you look at all the ignored wishes & suggestions to simplify the AC workflow you should see that point. 

It very apparent that GS's resources are overstretched, with zero QA, failed launches, part developed new features and stuff that becomes "experimental" because it failed Beta, but got launched anyway. Stop ####ing about with trivia like DG and AI visuals and get the core functionality of AC fixed along with the crippling bugs that get worse each year!!!

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
mthd
Ace

Hi all, Distance Guides are not meant to be just training wheels for new users or for ones who are used to other CAD systems that have similar features. They provide important feedback on the location of elements and provide an automatic measurement tool. They will already speed up my workflow because I will not need to take so many measurements with the measurement tool now and in the future.

I have only been testing them at this stage and yes they can get in the way and I have many years of using AC without them. Revit is a professional tool and many experienced users use that software effectively. Archicad is too complicated in comparison to Revit & Chief Architect when it comes to dimensions and the accurate placement of building elements. There a way too many steps involved and too many input commands to get to the right location. I don’t have time to sit around and wait for a blue circle to show up or to press an extra Q key.

Granted AC is much better in many other areas in comparison to Revit & CA. To speed up the workflow in AC we need this feature to be developed more and made robust enough to help make AC much faster at placing elements in the exact correct position without too many steps or delays.

Most of the users here are accustomed to the old workflow in AC and they will need time to adapt to something much faster with the use of Distance Guides in the future. Experimental at this stage but in time I hope many will come to realize that they have the potential to speed us up. Especially when we have a builder breathing down our neck and wanting the concept or the full documentation complete.

I can still model a reasonably simple home in half the time with CA because of its simple system of placing and joining elements and much of it is defaulted to simple project home design template. I prefer the finer level of detail in AC and the extra precision in the documentation process so that’s why I use it. I guess you could say CA is my concept modeler for project homes. With the new Distance Guides development I can potentially save allot of time modeling a simple project home quickly right inside AC.

As regards to the problem of distance guides being in the way. Why not have them produce outside of the plan area where the dimension lines usually are when editing walls ? For other elements like doors or windows they are ok where they are at present. Finer detail of being able to measure from the core of the wall can be added to the drop down tool bar as an option. Some suggestions to help them work better and preventing them from getting in the way where possible.

@mthd wrote:

Most of the users here are accustomed to the old workflow in AC and they will need time to adapt to something much faster with the use of Distance Guides in the future. Experimental at this stage but in time I hope many will come to realize that they have the potential to speed us up. Especially when we have a builder breathing down our neck and wanting the concept or the full documentation complete.

Framing this as a question of accustomedness is simplistic. I'm all for enhancement of the input process but introducing a new feature which is underdeveloped and without a clear path forward is a symptom of the flawed development which is turning AC into a UI mess.

All that was needed to achieve the current functionality of distance guides was a rather simple enhancement of the snap references so that the tracker shows distance to the reference lines or points. It could look exactly as distance guides does now with the indicator.

Instead of hoping that the program chooses the correct reference or having to manually adjust when it doesn't the user would be in control of selecting the reference making the process quicker and removing the graphical clutter of irrelevant information. Tying it to snap guides and the tracker would also mean that we naturally have it available not just for placing or moving elements but for every input - so also editing nodes.

Apart from being a superior solution this also has the benefit of developers working with already existing functionality increasing the chance that they will find other things to improve or enhance "while at it".

So no this has nothing to do with accustomedness - it's simply bad development.

@mthd Well you toned that down a bit from... "let’s get this straight." You aren't speaking from any position of authority here and neither am I, my posts are driven by a growing frustration, fuelled by a lack of investment of the funds we provide to make AC better e.g. delivering what users are asking for, and let's get this straight, DG was never one of them. You may say it isn't a "training wheel", but that is exactly what Graphisoft described in their response above - Distance guides are designed to help new and less experienced users. Now you may be finding use for it as a quick measure tool, that's fine, but the point remains that these kind of developments are a superficial distraction, counter to your opinion they add to AC's complexity in unseen ways and they suck resources from other essential development that would help far more people.

You know it's funny, but in the video links you provided I didn't see anything remotely similar to the DG tool, unless I missed it? Associative dimensions is a very different function and one that I would welcome, but a measure tool that is trying to second guess what you want to do and what points to reference, well, it really is a non-starter.

mthd
Ace

Yes, “the let’s get this straight” was directed to the training wheels scenario. I don’t think they are developing DG’s for that purpose only and if they did it would be a pretty weak excuse don’t you think ? 

@DGSketcher wrote: “Associative dimensions is a very different function and one that I would welcome,” totally agree with you here and that’s where it becomes a real useful function and not just a training wheels gimmick hey ? I think GS are professional enough that when they put their mind to something they will eventually get it done. Our local distributor wants us to give them time to develop these new things but when the focus is on MEP its not the first priority. 

Hang in there time will tell.