BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile Opening Reference Line issue

tjmillar
Enthusiast

I tried responding to this post

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/Complex-profile-Opening-Reference-Line-problem/m-p/2558...

but wasn't able to. I encountered the same issue described there, and have found a solution which was not noted in that thread:

The issue is that in some of my complex walls, the windows in 3D think that the Reveal depth to Opening Reference dimension is relative to the inside of the wall, but in 2D, when using Symbolic view for the windows it's relative to the outside of the wall. A workaround is to use Projected or Projected with Overhead view for the windows so that 2D and 3D offsets match, but that's not acceptable for windows of heights that aren't cut by the view's floor plane cut level. 

The issue is a construction line drawn in the complex profile, aligned with the edge of one of the fills (so not noticeable) which seems to serve as the opening reference. It just needs to be moved to the other of the wall, or deleted. 

AC26 Australia, Windows 10
5 REPLIES 5
Florin Luca
Booster

I'm curios about this, too. Could you post some pics of the construction line(s) you mentioned? I can only see the opening lines in my composite wall. I have a foundation wall w/ footing and I have a similar issue with it (see pics). Except my windows do not fit within the foundation wall portion, as it seems the footing width governs. My work around was to change the display but also to tweak the reveal values.

The red lines (opening lines) are shown on the faces of the foundation wall, but if i check and uncheck the visibility of the opening lines in the profile editor, the opening lines position resets to the faces of the footing.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 10.07.46.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 10.08.28.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 10.09.03.png

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 10.14.43.png

AC27 Solo US, latest build
macOS Ventura 13.6
iMac | 3.8 GHz 8-core Intel i7 | 40 GB RAM | AMD Radeon 8 GB
tjmillar
Enthusiast

There is an Opening Reference line aligned with the inside skin, so not apparent unless you hover over it. It says it's on the Opening Reference layer even though I don't have that layer. I guess what happened was that I started with one of the default profiles in the Graphisoft template when I created all my new profile walls, but built them with the inside skin on the opposite side to the default wall I started with. I never noticed the reference line and therefore inadvertently duplicated the error in every new wall I created (and since I'm setting up a new template, that was a lot!)

tjmillar_0-1696816442943.png

If you move the line to the outside of the wall, that fixes the issue, but I found that you can just delete it and the wall then behaves as expected, with both 2D and 3D using the same exterior reference for the reveal setback.

My walls don't include any offsets like yours does, so I tried adding one to see if it still works when the line is deleted instead of moved to the outside of the outside skin, and it did. 

AC26 Australia, Windows 10

Sorry, it took me a bit to get to it.  I think you were able to move/delete your opening line because your wall is the same thickness.

After playing around a bit, I discovered that walls of different thicknesses (like my fdn/ftg wall) by default will have the opening line/s aligned with the outside faces of the thickest wall, which I guess is ok, as long one is aware of it.

This is what I did:

1. I checked off the Opening Reference box, the opening lines disappeared and my windows aligned with the outside faces of the footing. When I checked the Opening Reference box back on, the opening lines showed up, aligned with the outside face of the footing and so did my windows.

2. If I moved the opening lines and aligned them with the faces of the foundation wall and SAVE the choice (here is where I kept screwing up!), the windows behave properly: symbol display in plan, aligned with the faces of the foundation wall, both in 2d and 3d.

3. If I erased one or both of the properly aligned opening lines, I was back to #1.

Also, I found out something else: I use custom Stretch Modifiers to adjust the dimensions of the foundation wall or the footing. When I do that for the foundation wall, the opening lines do not follow the faces to the new location and we are back to windows misalignment issues! Anyway, that's a subject to another post! 🙂

macOS Ventura 13.6

Have not tried, but can the Opening Reference Line be linked to a Stretch Modifier?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I tried, but alas, no!

You think that would make some sense. Otherwise, if you use the Stretch Modifiers for the thickness, like in my case, you'd have to redefine the profile every time, which defeats the purpose of modifiers.

macOS Ventura 13.6
Learn and get certified!