BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile wall shows weird line in Elevation View

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been trying this for hours...

I've made a Complex Profile parapet wall which is rounded at the top. However, in the Elevation View it shows a weird break line where the curve begins. (see image)

This worked correctly in the past, but I cannot recreate it again. I have an old Complex Profile which works fine (also shown).

Seems I've tried everything to ensure a smooth outline transition in the Complex fill outline, where it transitions from vertical plane to the curve of the parapet (to avoid the hard "break" that's showing up in Elevation).... but nothing works for me. I even duplicated the old, good Profile (old and duplicate are shown in the image), but even the duplicate doesn't work properly like the original works. (perhaps there's a new bug that didn't previously exist?)

I hope you can help me out. many thanks...

Picture 4b.jpg
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried for about an hour and could not figure it out either, with a complex profile similar to yours.
At first I thought it might be that the separator lines would have to be of the same material as the fill, being this looks like a fill/core only wall.
Curious, what happens when you inject the parameters of the "correct" rounded top wall to the wall showing lines?
Maybe it's in a global setting for wall lines?
I set my radius to meet exactly, thinking that might be it, but no there either.
Seems like if the lines were the same as fill, they should disappear?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bier wrote:
Seems like if the lines were the same as fill, they should disappear?
Thanks for your shot, Bier Designs, and I double checked. The surface modeling texture for both Complex Profiles is the same as the regular wall below, which is why no separation line appears where the walls meet.

(The core Fill used to create the Complex Profile is the same in both profiles, and different from the regular wall below, but this is besides the point since it's the surface modeling texture which needs to match in order for joints to "clean up" in Elevations.)

Injecting the parameters from the good wall to the bad simply changes the bad wall to the good -- doesn't identify the malfunction.

The problem, of course, is where the curve breaks, however gently, from the vertical plane....

Any one else with a ?!
(BTW, I'm running AC11 release 1114 USA Full on a Mac.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michael wrote:
Any one else with a ?!
(BTW, I'm running AC11 release 1114 USA Full on a Mac.)
Hi Michael,

At first I thought it was a magic wand issue; I've tried different options for the magic wand settings, but I couldn't make those lines disappear. Maybe someone else knows something about this.

Cheers.

Adrian Tudoreanu
Thomas Holm
Booster
Guess: Make sure the rounding at the top of the complex profile starts with a circle segment and that the vertical side is an exact tangent to that circle.

And experiment with your magic wand settings. They might interact with certain dimensions to create unfortunate contours.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Guess: Make sure the rounding at the top of the complex profile starts with a circle segment and that the vertical side is an exact tangent to that circle.
I carefully did this already. I'm positive I have a perfect tangent where the curve meets the straight line...
Thomas wrote:
And experiment with your magic wand settings.
Actually I don't use the magic wand here. I just draw the Fill directly (in the Complex Profiler window), using the polygon drawing method and the "tangent arc" buttons in the flyout.

Thanks Thomas and Adrian for your suggestions.

Can anyone get this to work like it used to?
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Michael wrote:
Can anyone get this to work like it used to?
Can you please upload a zipped module of the complex file that does work?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Can you please upload a zipped module of the complex file that does work?
Cool, I never uploaded a module file before.
Thanks for checking it out, Link.

(Afterwards...) Actually, this Mod file isn't going to show you much. I just downloaded it back into my computer, to see how it would open for you guys, and low and behold, the Profile that still works in my .pln no longer works in the .mod!

Ie., the "good" Profile, which I made last Fall, now gets corrupted if I duplicate it within the same .pln, or cut/paste it into a new project, or save it as a .mod file (as I've done here).

This suggests that AC has a new bug which didn't exist before, where AC can no longer generate a clean Elevation View (or Plan View for that matter) of a Profile that has curves in it (unless someone can make it work!).

Agreed? (and that would be the unwanted answer ) Let's give this thread a happy ending!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well I don't mean ruin the party, but I don't have a solution for you. Admittedly, I'm a little distracted with the first round of the NRL 2008 season just momnents away from kick-off, but even adjusting your existing profile by a poofteenth makes that line reappear. Even just applying it back to the selection does, too.

This is not the first time this kind of problem has occurred with curves in AC, which is probably why we still don't have true curved roofs yet, so it doesn't really surprise me.

I think the best thing you can do is send the issue to you reseller and in the meantime just patch/mask your elevations.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dang it all.

So... who won?
Learn and get certified!