Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profiles | Fixing Edges?

Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Reposting in this part of the forum:

I'm struggling to use the profile manager.

Here are a few images to illustrate the issue I'm having:
The intention is to create a wall profile and be able to stop the top of gyp board below the top of wall framing, as is common in commercial interiors. I have approached this by placing an offset modifier to control the height of the gyp board independent of the overall wall height.

The problem is that when the wall height is made taller or shorter than the height as drawn in the profile manager then the gyp board moves away from the bottom of the wall. Truly bizarre behavior. Eliminating the value of the parameter altogether...

If I try to fix the bottom of the gyp to the point of origin by using an additional offset modifier I run into 2 problems. First, because the profile manager does not allow more than one offset modifier attached to an edge I can only create one on one of the 2 finish sides of the wall. Second, I still get very strange behavior when I zero out this 'base reveal' modifier to try and get the gyp to extend to the floor. Archicad actually lifts the bottom of the wall core above the point of origin to achieve the offset of zero, rather than pulling the gyp board down to the point of origin.
There really NEEDS to be a way to anchor multiple points or edges to the stretch extents (or other guidelines) AND allow edges to be locked to each other, AND place more than one offset modifier on an edge.

Otherwise offset modifiers seem to be of very limited use.
Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
4 REPLIES 4
rjwilden
Booster
I agree not worth the pain trying to figure out the problems.
I used them on a project last year, never again, multiple issues as indicated above. Also problems with Cad Image windows and doors. Only use complex profiles in beams/ foundation footings.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Generally, I believe that complex wall profiles can only made to be taller than the size they were originally drawn, not shorter. The thing to do is to draw the profile of the wall in the shortest possible height and stretch them to be taller. The anchor points of the layers may be having an impact, as well. https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76468/
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Richard wrote:
Generally, I believe that complex wall profiles can only made to be taller than the size they were originally drawn, not shorter. The thing to do is to draw the profile of the wall in the shortest possible height and stretch them to be taller. The anchor points of the layers may be having an impact, as well. https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76468/
In AC 22, the stretch zones were improved to allow to go shorter (compress), not just taller.
I’ve also responded to the other thread in ARCHICAD+
Admins, can you merge the two topics?
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
James wrote:
In AC 22, the stretch zones were improved to allow to go shorter (compress), not just taller.
Cool! I missed that.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10