Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, this is something that has been a problem for me for awhile. I use the custom profile tool occasionally and I always seem to have problems setting material surface color.

Sometimes it works, other times not. Can anyone describe the exact procedure for establishing material or changing the material of an existing profile?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
There are a few places you can set the surface (material) which is where it can get a bit confusing.

First when you are creating or editing the profile, select the fill in the profile editor.
Then in the profile manager set it to 'Use Building Material.
All surfaces of the selected fill will now show the Building Material that you set for it.

Barry.
complex_profile_material_1.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
The next place you can set the surface is again have the fill selected in the profile editor and then in the PM un-tick the 'Use Building Material' box and select the 'Uniform' option and choose your surface.

The difference with this and the use building material is this will not set the end surfaces of that part of the complex profile.
The ends will still be using the Building Material.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
If you want to override individual surfaces of you complex profile fill then just left click on the edge of the fill in the profile editor and then in the pet palette choose the 'Set parameters for profile edge' option.
Here you can select the surface you want for that particular edge.
The PM will automatically switch to 'Various'.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
And last but not least remember that you can override all wall edge and all wall side surfaces with the overrides in the wall settings.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry:

Thanks for all of the detailed posts and I'll try them all. I haven't been successful in trying to override the settings in
(for example) the wall settings.

I think I got it to work by changing the material to another material and then back again. But some of the things you suggest I was simply not aware of,

Thanks again,

Don
Barry Kelly
If you have an old file open in 17 or 18 you will find 'Legacy' mode will be ON by default so the surface overrides in the wall settings will not be available.
All you can do is apply a surface to the entire ends of the walls.

Legacy mode can be found in OPTIONS menu > Project Preferences > Legacy

If it is a new file that was started with a 17 or 18 template then the Legacy mode should be OFF by default and you will have the end ad side surface overrides.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If you have an old file open in 17 or 18 you will find 'Legacy' mode will be ON by default so the surface overrides in the wall settings will not be available.
All you can do is apply a surface to the entire ends of the walls.

Legacy mode can be found in OPTIONS menu > Project Preferences > Legacy

If it is a new file that was started with a 17 or 18 template then the Legacy mode should be OFF by default and you will have the end ad side surface overrides.

Barry.
Wow, thanks again. Yes I did have old file I brought into 18.
I never would have ever found that on my own!