BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys how do i do a roof like this??
10 REPLIES 10
adzik
Newcomer
With the Roof tool?
Running ArchiCAD 23 INT.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It depends on the geometry but the simplest approach may be to use the mesh tool to get the form and then use the mesh to roof add-on to get editable roof parts.

Another approach might be to just use the roof tool to make two conical roofs and then stretch the peak of one to meet the other to make the asymmetric part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Draw 2 meshes with a spiral floorplan and add one elevated point in the center. Place the meshes above each other and substract them from each other.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the cooperation
I have done what you said but a cant subtract, and cant create a hole.

Thanks
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
ianas,

What is your final objective? 1)A smaller cone with a larger half-cone over the top? or 2) A smaller half cone adjoining a larger half-cone with a similar apex?

I have created both (see below) using Master Script's advice. You will have to create the smaller roof (via mesh) and the larger roof separately and have them placed side by side.

First create the top mesh, create a copy and lower it by the thickness of the roof. Perform a Solid Element Operation: Subtract with Downward Extrusion using the bottom mesh as the operator and the top mesh as the target. You will need to place the lower mesh on a different layer and make it invisible. You can then repeat these steps for the larger half cone.

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
I NCORNIA

iM TRYING TO DO THE FIRST OPTION BUT I CANT DO THE SUBTRACTION, AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG??
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Ianas,

First. Only do one half of the roof at a time. I started by making the smallers half-cone.

1. Draw half-circle and close it with line tool
2. Select Mesh tool and use magic wand to create mesh from original half circle.
3. Create a node at the midpoint of the line and elevate it to create the conical shape. You should now have a mesh with a vertex, looking like half of a circus tent.
4. Drag a copy directly over the original mesh and change its elevation settings by 25 to 50 mm.
5. Usement Solid Element Operation with upper mesh as target and lower mesh as operator, set to Subtraction with downward extrusion and hit execute
6. Place the lower mesh on another layer and make it invisible.
7.Repeat for other half of roof.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Draw a 2D circle with the radius of the roof you want to have. Using the Roof tool, draw a segment of the circle with an angle of 10 degrees (or other degrees to experiment) with the center of the 2D circle. Use the Multiple tool with the Rotate option setting the angle to 10 degrees. Rotate as many times as you need to make as much of the roof as you need.

Photo attached.
Barry Kelly
Double posting of the same problem here.

[deleted]

Maybe our fantastic moderator and merge them if he has nothing better to do?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!