BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profile Opening Reference Line problem

Barry Kelly
Now that we have modifiers in complex profiles in version 22, I am starting to set up some more useful profiles.
However I have come across a problem that I am hoping may be controlled by a setting I am missing.
Otherwise it is a rather obvious bug that I can't believe ahas not been noticed.

I have a complex profile wall that has a wider base with a thinner wall above (my example here is exaggerated to show it clearer).
In 3D, the widow reveal offset follows the Opening Reference Line position in the profile.
This is perfect.

However in plan the wall must be shown as 'Projected with Overhead' (rather than 'Symbolic') which means the Floor Plan Cut Plane height comes into play.
If the FPCP is set to a height lower that the recessed wall, then the windows all offset from the face of that wall - this is OK if my Opening Reference Line is at this position.
But as soon as the FPCP height is higher than the bottom brickwork, the windows in plan all offset from the recessed brickwork and not where the Opening Reference Line position is (which is the front of the lower wall.

The attached image will show it better.
Am I missing a setting somewhere so the plan view uses the Opening Reference Line as set in the complex profile?
Isn't this what should be happening?
Shouldn't the 2D view be matching the 3D view.

This was tested with default Graphisoft template and standard window in version 22.
I also tested in version 18 and it was the same.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
I just realised that I have to set the windows to 'Projected with Overhead' as well (rather than 'Symbolic').

However that is still a problem.
I want to keep using the symbolic view of my windows.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Hi Barry

Try changing your window anchor. Either from reading the sill or reading the head.
This will generally fix the issue. (I think!!)
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Barry Kelly
No, unfortunately it doesn't matter what I set the anchor to.
That doesn't affect the 2D or 3D position.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Brad Elliott
Booster
When I switch my windows from symbolic to projected to avoid this bug the separator lines from my complex profile now run right through my window. To see if I could fix this with a different window projection I started selecting the other types. While this didn't help with the problem, when I selected symbolic again the window is now correct in 2d and 3d. So it appears just switching between symbolic to projected and back again fixes the problem.
I haven't tested to see if this will survive through an open close cycle but I'll update if it doesn't.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
After 3 years they still haven't fixed it (it works correctly in Archicad 18 and before)

This Problem has been around since Archicad 19
IN 3D The origin for the window is set to the widest part of of the wall
IN PLAN The origin for the wall is at the cut plane thickness not the anchor point location.
IN CODE The value of "Wall_Thickness" is still the anchor point

so you can't even code your way out of it.

This use to work correctly (thickness, etc at the anchor point of the window)

It is surprising they have not fixed it yet.

i hope graphisoft is listening....
mi_jan
Enthusiast
I ran into the same problem, reading what you guys have posted here helped me find some temporary solutions. I found that by leaving a blank space where the window would be placed, ( Window sill is at 3'-4" Window head at 9-4"). I had another Instance where the window sill was 4-4" Over my FPCP, so the method I used for the previous window did not work.

I found two workarounds, the first one works for windows that are the same Inside and Out; Having the reference line of the exterior wall in the inside of the building, and when I drew the window I placed the Sun position of the window inside.

The second is a bit annoying and time-consuming but it seems to work in the few test scenarios that I've done; (see Attachment)
I Added an Air space where I have my FPCP set, I then duplicated this Complex profile and deleted everything except for the Air Space to be used as a SEO, Drew the duplicated wall over the primary wall, and gave it a Solid Element Operation to Subtract, finally placed the duplicate wall that I used as my operator in a layer that is turned off and set to be wireframe
iMac - MacOs Big Sur 11.6.6
Archicad 24 - Latest Build
Archicad 25 - Latest Build
Barry Kelly
Just bumping this topic.
It seems like a simple fix in that the windows (in plan) in complex profile walls need to have the reveal offset measured from the Opening Reference Line in the complex profile, and not the first fill of the wall as displayed in plan.

Switching the windows to Projected with Overhead display is not an option.

I have a great need to be able to use complex profiles with modifiers, but I can't because the window position in plan does not match the 3D position.
It is especially important for corner windows.

The external of this entire house can be created with just 3 or 4 complex profile walls with modifiers to adjust the cladding heights and depths.
It could even be done with just one wall type if you add all the different cladding options.
But if a door or window is not located in the outer-most cladding, the plan position will not match the 3D.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
Similar to this post? Though we did not come to a resolution for that one either...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
Similar to this post?
Yes.
I have now resorted to adding an offset with stretchy hotspot that I can adjust to reposition the plan view (it won't affect the 3D position which is correct).
Fortunately I have my own window objects and don't use the GS ones, so no problems amending my own scripts.
Unfortunately I have to manually check the 2D symbolic position with the projected view.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!