Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Composite Slab Not Working Properly

Dalius
Enthusiast

Hello guys! 

Could anyone explain why Archicad doesn't work correctly with composite joins? At first, I thought I was doing something wrong with intersection priorities, but I made this example using default elements.

When the slab is placed on the same level as the top of the wall (in this case as the wall on the lower story), its skins react not individually, but according to the bottom skin of the composite. However, when I raise the slab higher or lower, even 1 mm, all skins react correctly.

Ahhh, this problem has become a big headache 🤯 Is it a regular bug? And how do you deal with it?

The pln file (v26) is attached as well.

Archicad-Composites.jpg

Dalius Regelskis
AC user since version 6.0
http://archicad-pamokos.lt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Botonis
Advisor

Ok indeed there is a problem didn't know about it.

This is happening with windows and not doors. Check this 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-data-BIM/Zones-Wall-recesses-to-zones-not-working/m-p/22... 

What you can do is create custom profile with a modifier at the bottom and the wall base at the zero point.

When you place the wall set the modifier at the floor thickness and voila!

That way you trick the zone which recognizes the zero point, until Devs fix this......

2.jpg

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Botonis
Advisor

You are right.

When the slabs are at the same upper level with the floor level, for composites, the priorities do not work. This is not happening at the bottom point.

Never came accross this situation though, as my  floor leveling is using the core material and not the finish.

I do not know if this a limitation or something on purpose....... or a kind of logic......... I do not feel it is a bug though.

In your case I would offset the upper wall bottom to the core of the slab to create the correct connection. After all, the slab should some how be considered the base of the upper wall..... 

Screenshot 2023-06-10 132901.jpg 

Botonis Botonakis
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
sayon3d
Booster

Hi Dalius,

if this only happens on the ground floor (seems a bug),

draw just the floor and draw a SEPARATE skin and group them, or save that group as a slab object.

That's what I would do, to not lose more time.

Greetings.

It is really more easy just to extent the base of the wall. On the basis of the real construction this will be the final result.

The level line is just a theoritical level.

Creating additional skins or groups makes things more complicated and deviates from the BIM logic. This is just my opinion.

Botonis Botonakis
Lingwisyer
Guru

I have never come across this situation either as I model to core too, but I feel like this is the intended interaction as it believes the floor is running over the wall below. To get a different interaction, walls would need to know if there was another continuing above it, but that would create a whole lot of complications in itself... I would just settle with offsetting your walls.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Hi Botonis! 

Thank you for your response. Then I have another question: 

If the wall is lowered to the core of the slab, then the floor-to-ceiling windows must be raised to floor level. However, if the bottom of the windows is higher than the base of the wall, then the zone doesn't count the area of wall recesses.

So how do you deal with it?

The pln file (v26) is attached.   

Archicad-Composites-2.jpg

Dalius Regelskis
Solution
Botonis
Advisor

Ok indeed there is a problem didn't know about it.

This is happening with windows and not doors. Check this 

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-data-BIM/Zones-Wall-recesses-to-zones-not-working/m-p/22... 

What you can do is create custom profile with a modifier at the bottom and the wall base at the zero point.

When you place the wall set the modifier at the floor thickness and voila!

That way you trick the zone which recognizes the zero point, until Devs fix this......

2.jpg

Botonis Botonakis

Bravo, Botoni! This is a really great idea! 👏 

I already tried and it works perfectly. I also added a Height Stretch modifier so that the top of the wall can be tied to the next story level.

By the way, you are quite optimistic saying "until Devs fix this", hehe! 😀

Could I ask where are you from? Botonis sounds Greek, doesnt it?

Archicad-Composites-3.jpg

Dalius Regelskis

Greek indeed!!

Thanks for you reply. Do not forget to set a proper opening reference line for the custom profile!!!

I remain at your disposal!

Botonis Botonakis

Yassou Botoni,
I tried to apply such walls in my project and faced another problem.

Using walls created as complex profiles, the surface material cannot be changed separately for the outside and inside faces neither in the wall settings nor with the surface painter.

The only way is to override surfaces in the profile itself. However, in this case, I need to duplicate the profile for each surface change, which becomes quite complicated 🙈

Dalius Regelskis