BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composite Wall problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a composite wall which has 2 layers of plasterboard on the inner face. The skins have a gypsum fill and a separator line, and the 'Use Skin Separator line' box is checked. So far so good.

Now I have another similar wall, also with 2 layers of plasterboard, set up in exactly the same way - but Archicad insists on merging these 2 skins, and not showing the separator line.

I thought that the fills might be obscuring the separator line - but if I explode a section of wall, I find that there really is only one skin in place of my two.

Has anyone any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
David Shorter
Advisor
Hi Keith
In the complex profile window identical fills which touch merge to one body. This is something which we should have generally. In the profile window it can be a pain as you have discovered.
The solution (workaround) is to duplicate the fill with a new name and use this for the second plasterboard skin. This way they won't join.
I sometimes use this feature if I have a lot of fills on the floorplan which I want to merge into one.
select them all, cut and paste into a new complex profile, save it and open again select THE fill (its now one body) and paste back to the floor plan. Only worth doing with a lot of fills.
Hope this helps
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Barry Kelly
Keith,
Are you sure the skin separator line is checked in that composite?
I just duplicated a wall that has 2 skins with the same fill and turned the separator line off.
It looks in plan like the fills have merged.
But oddly when I explode them it creates the separate fills (both the same type) and adds in its own separator line but it has no pen number.

I just noticed you are version 14 on Mac.
I just tried in 15 on Windows.
I will try 14 in a few moments.

David wrote:
I sometimes use this feature if I have a lot of fills on the floorplan which I want to merge into one.
select them all, cut and paste into a new complex profile, save it and open again select THE fill (its now one body) and paste back to the floor plan. Only worth doing with a lot of fills.
Hope this helps
David,
Have you tried the fill consolidation tool?
Much easier.

Barry.
separator.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
It is the same for me in version 14.

By any chance was your composite created in an older version before the separator lines existed?
(I'm clutching at straws here).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!