BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Connect Wall Surfaces on each side of Slab

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you have two walls on each side of a slab, is there any way to make the outer surface of the walls connect?

If they can't connect, then there's a gap in the wall surface.

I know I can override the slabs with a surface, but is there a way for the walls to connect, even though there is a slab separating them?
2 REPLIES 2
Eli Chiasson
Booster
This is an example drawn in AC19 using the default Commercial Template.

I drew a floor slab (steel deck with concrete topping) and exterior walls with brick finish above and below. The 1st Floor wall has its height linked to the 2nd Floor. The 2nd Floor wall starts at the 2nd Floor level.

I positioned the walls so the structure sits on the floor slab edge but the insulation, air space, and brick is beyond. They connect automatically.
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
http://www.dexel.ca
AC19-23 USA+MEP • i7-7700 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Professional
Lingwisyer
Guru
Your issue is to do with you the Building Material (BM) of slab compared to your wall. They currently end at the same outside edge with the slab having a higher Intersection Priority (IP) than your wall meaning that it will clip your wall.

You have a couple of options depending on the detail and accuracy required. The easiest would be to chance the edge material of your slab. The second but least accurate would be to assign the wall a BM with a higher IP than the slab so that it clips the slab instead. Another option would be to set a reference line offset to your wall so that even when the slab meets to same point, the wall will extend say 5mm past to represent the wall finish. The most accurate option would be to create a composite consisting of your structural elements, with the inner wall and finish being to lowest BM and your wall finish then setting your wall reference line to Core Outside. This will create a section like Eli's.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!