BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Converting Old AC6.5 files to AC15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just recently had went back to try and open an archive project. The file was created in AC6.5. None of our current versions (AC13-AC15) will open the file. How can I get this file brought into the newest version of AC?

Thanks,

Brian
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
See this Wiki article which describes what formats each version can open:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions

You'll need to use AC 10 as a "bridge" to convert the 6.5 file.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.
Tom Krowka
Booster
What happens if he doesn't have AC 10?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Karl Ottenstein
Tom wrote:
What happens if he doesn't have AC 10?
Download it:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/Fileconverter.html

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
So- I am trying to bring old files to AC 15, but we have OSX Lion. I have one computer that is an old Power PC Mac that we keep around to open old stuff. I installed AC9 and AC10 on that computer, but when I try to open a file it won't recognize my WIBU key. I could open it in DEMO, but then I can't save.

I seem to be stuck... Any ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
designade wrote:
So- I am trying to bring old files to AC 15, but we have OSX Lion. I have one computer that is an old Power PC Mac that we keep around to open old stuff. I installed AC9 and AC10 on that computer, but when I try to open a file it won't recognize my WIBU key. I could open it in DEMO, but then I can't save.

I seem to be stuck... Any ideas?
Never mind! I fixed it. I needed to install the WIBU Driver on my old computer.

Drivers found here:
www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/WIBU.html
Karl Ottenstein
designade wrote:
So- I am trying to bring old files to AC 15, but we have OSX Lion. I have one computer that is an old Power PC Mac that we keep around to open old stuff.
Just to confirm for others finding this thread: AC 10 was the first Intel Mac (MacTel) version of AC and is available for download. It can open files as old as version 6.5. So, the only reason for Mac folks to keep an old PPC Mac around (or to keep a bootable disk with Snow Leopard or earlier around - which can run Rosetta and hence any PPC software) - is if versions earlier than 10 are required - either to open files directly or to convert files that are from version 6 or earlier.

Designade: if your old PPC Mac has Leopard or Snow Leopard on it, you can clone its disk to a firewire drive that you can then use to boot your current Intel Mac with to run any of that older software. Might be worth doing if you don't have a clone just to keep that option available in case of hardware failure on your old PPC Mac.

Cheers,
Karl
Learn and get certified!