BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Costumized tiles and Materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello there! I'm relatively new to Archicad and I've been wondering how is it possible to design a more unique surface. I'm already familiar with the surface editor (adding the image I want etc.) but what about wall and floor designs that don't follow a specific pattern? I wanna create something like this: https://tilestyle.ie/product/futura-half-rose/ (in a more "abstract" form).
thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
For viewing in OpenGL, you will need to create a surface material with that image on it.
Make the image large enough so you don't notice the repeating pattern.

For rendered images (Cinerender) you will need to create the same surface there using the same image.
I know it is possible to create random coloured tiles (bricks) in Cinerender without using an image - but I have only seen that done with rectangular pattern - not triangular.

If you want more control over the pattern of the tiles themselves you would have to create a GDL object (you will need to know how to script GDL), or you could use the curtain wall tool to create a pattern like this.

I think you best bet is a large enough sample image that you add to a surface.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
In regards to creating textures, to reduce the effect of tiling I find it useful to create a large canvas in Photoshop and make say a 3x3 block of the original texture randomly rotated or flipped, then make say a 4x4 block of the first block doing the same. In this way you have a larger effective texture pattern before it repeats.

When it comes to making seamless textures, you can use Photoshop's offset modifier to allow you to see the seams where it wraps and apply suitable fixes.

Ling.

Edit: If you are using the latest Photoshop, you can use the Pattern Preview feature.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!