BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating Stairs Through a floor

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry its a long one!! but if anyone could help me it would be amazing....

SITUATION
I have an existing building which has a split level basement floor and a split level ground floor (it's very complicated)!
There are 4 storeys -
Storey -2 Lower basement
Storey -1 Basement
Storey 0 Lower ground
Storey 1 Ground

PROBLEM
I have built a new stair starting at storey -2 lower basement finishing at storey 0 lower ground. (it is not connected to any other floor) It is correct and the 3d model is fine. On the plan its wrong,
is there a way of customising which level the stair is shown - i have tried all the settings 'show relevent storey' etc. I want it showing up on -2 lower basement and 0 lower ground but I can't get it to show up unless i put it on 'show on all storeys', which i dont want to do

I hope this makes sense please get in touch with any advise/tips/ the answer!

Many thanks guys and girls

CHRIS
E:chris.stow@hotmail.com
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
Unfortunately not. You will have to break up the stair in sections to get it to appear correctly.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
chris:

Or just add a white masking fill over the stair on the stories that you do not want it to show on.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
When I've seen this question about stairs and not wanting to see it on story it passes through, it raises several questions.

- in archicad and similar programs, the goal is to model all the 3D elements. Is the stair really not seen on the middle story? Or is it that you would not see all of the stair the upper and lower most sections being obscured by room on this middle story? If so, modeling the stair in sections so it would show only what is visible would be correct. Covering the upper and lowermost sections with a masking fill as David suggests would also work. The downside of the masking fill is it needs maintenance. You will be adjusting its visibility to be behind the elements that you want to obscure it.

-Consider also that the stair will most likely be built in sections if it spans 3 stories. We are creating virtual buildings; creating the stair in sections will mirror the real building.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!