Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating a Custom 'Facade'

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Long time reader - first time poster....

I'm doing a job for an old terrace house with a facade at the front. Any tips on how I can create a wall in this shape?

The attached JPG is the outline of the facade. It sits above the verandah at the front of the house and is basically an extension of the front wall.
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
To keep it as a wall I would make a 'negative' morph of the shape above the wall.
Stretch the wall height so it is slightly higher than the detail.
Place the morph in the desired location and ensure id extrudes across the wall.
Then Solid Element Operation and subtract with upward extrusion from the wall.
Hide the morph by placing it in a hidden layer.

Or you could create a complex profile (for the top portion) and use the wall or beam tool placing it with the wall length being the actual width of the wall.
You will have two walls (one stacked above the other) and the top one will be modelled sideways - if surface materials are the same they should merge in elevation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is another way of doing it by creating a Profile, using it with another, perpendicular Wall and using the Intersection SEO command on the Wall and the perpendicular Profiled Wall.
I think this solution comes from a time when the Morph tool did not exist yet in ARCHICAD (prior to v16):

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/documentation/how-to-modify-the-side-contour-of-a-wal...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Stretch the wall height so it is slightly higher than the detail.
Place the morph in the desired location and ensure id extrudes across the wall.
Then Solid Element Operation and subtract with upward extrusion from the wall.
Hide the morph by placing it in a hidden layer.

Barry.
A minor point - I wouldn't use "upward extrusion" as the overhanging scroll and the small triangular projection will extrude upwards also. Just make sure the morph is at least as big as the wall you want to subtract from, and use the straight out "subtract" option.

But I'd probably draw the shape as a complex profile and extrude a wall perpendicular to the facade, if there was no other detail needed within it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys - I appreciate the assistance!

But....I did manage to work it out.

I created a custom profile. A bit clunky as the width of the profile becomes the length when you place the object.

So I drew the outline of the shape as a Custom Profile and made the base of it 4500mm long (ie. the span of the front wall of the house) and then did a Fill which created the profile.

But being a profile, it creates it 'side on'. So when you place the wall you get a wall that is 4500mm thick!

So I had to place it where I wanted it, rotate it 90 degrees and make it only 200mm long (which is the width I wanted for the facade.

Voila!
Facade3.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, good that you made it, just to add another idea, this can be done with a shell, and define shell contour, this way you can have a composite and don't need solid element operation.
Here is a quick example.