BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating an external splayed reveal.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just wasted 2 hours trying to find a solution to this! It's driving me crazy...

I need to create a window with a visible external masonry lintel, and a stone sill. I also need to reveal this window (externally) with a splayed reveal, but I only have the option to do this internally (not helpful at all GS!)
Even the custom reveal option which allows me to produce a negative external reveal doesn't allow me to modify this to a splayed reveal, or apply an angle, or anything. Wow, how is such a simple design feature so difficult to implement?

Any help is much appreciated of course.

W
5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend
Sounds like you should be looking at using morphs and solid element operations (SEO) to cut back the splays and form the sill recess. If the sill isn't haunched etc you can create it with a custom wall or beam profile. You could also look at using a column profile for the splay as well. Hopefully you don't have a lot of windows to modify, if you do then it may be worth looking at the help files on how to create a custom window.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I do have a lot of windows, and a number of different sizes. Do you think that a custom window will allow me to work splayed external reveals into it?

I would prefer to stay away from large numbers of SEO's as in my experience they can bog a file down with too much information.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an image of a typical window in the property. The window only applies to the existing building on the site, it is not for the sake of the design part of the project. I would prefer to model the windows correctly, however for the sake of time and the moving the project forward (the client wants to get a move on right away), if the method is too over-complicated I will just model the windows as is without reveals/chamfered sills, etc.

If you notice the sill has a cut into it, as does the lintel above. As does the reveal of the window. Beautiful architecture, but so annoying that AC doesn't support these fundamental design features.
DGSketcher
Legend
Sometimes we expect too much of AC, they can't predict and accommodate every potential detail. If you think there is a significant need or a tweak that would improve something, create a poll in the wish list section and don't forget to vote for it!

On a more practical level if you are are not dealing with detailed or rendered presentation then I would just get as close as you can with the standard AC window components.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have found a simple(ish) solution....

I am adding columns into the space where the reveal should be, after adding a custom reveal (negative) on the outside. Then by turning this surface to brick, it looks like a splayed reveal. Not too much work, but not ideal. Still a workaround.
Learn and get certified!