BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cropping Complex Meshes

Josh Verran
Expert

We work with large/complex sites frequently.

I would like to know an efficient/workable method to crop the meshes to the legal boundaries.

If it were a rectangle, then I'd just trim/split.

As the sites can be complex in geometry the above method doesn't work or requires numerous individual trims using temp guide edges.

Below is an example, of a mesh I am talking about.

In the example, I have used a morph to illustrate the region contained within the legal boundaries.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 120209.jpg

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
1 REPLY 1

Obviously, you already know how to create a morph with an exact surface matching the Mesh inside the boundary.  

So there must be boundary lines that you could Unify.  With a single boundary Spline you will have a way to make a hole in a duplicate Mesh.   With that new Mesh mesh with the hole in it, you can Subtract the part of the original Mesh you don't want using SEO.  

If you don't need it to function anymore as a Mesh, you can convert it into a Morph so you do not have any extra (but unseen) geometry.   But I assume you do need that geometry inside the boundary to be a Mesh or you would just use the Morph you made.  Is that right?  

Why was the original Mesh not generated using only the surveyor's data from inside the boundary?   

When I get huge areas of survey/topo data sets from the Surveyor, it's up to me to convert the area of it that I need into a Mesh or Morph, depending on what I need to use it for.   I model the volumes to be excavated, the volumes that need to be added, volumes of each layer of any new roads, and backfill.... so that the entire Excavation Plan, Stormwater Plans, Landscaping/Planting Plans, Site Utilities Model, etc...  can all be quantified with Interactive Schedules.  It seems that there is no limit to the amount of information Building Departments are requiring these days for even just Pre-Construction Meetings.     

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!