Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved Railing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I know this topic has been done before, but I can't find the answer I need, so I'm hoping there's an easy solution.

There's a wire railing in the Concrete|Stairmaker folder that I've been using as a railing for balconies, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to create such a thing on a curve of any sort. I imagine it can be done with Stairmaker, but I don't want to put it on stairs; I want to put it around a round atrium opening in the floor slab, and around the appropriate places in a curved stair rising through that opening, on one level.

I already have my stairs and their railings, done in ArchiStair. (If I could match or come close to matching that railing, I'd be ecstatic, but I'm also realistic, especially given my complete incompetence at building library parts <g>.)

Is there any easy way to do this, or some library part somewhere that I'm not seeing? It doesn't have to be the exact same railing; just a way to do almost *any* wired railing on varied curves would work at the moment.

Unfortunately, I'm in a real time crunch too, having just realized that I have to put *something* around that hole <duh!>.

What I'd *really* like to be able to do is a curved glass/metal railing, but I realize I may be asking for too much at the moment. I'll be happy with whatever I can get and I'll worry about learning more detailed methods later. If all else fails, I'll just put a plain glass curved wall around it and pretend there are openings if I can't figure out how to cut it at the appropriate places <g>. Or hand draw them in as best I can after I print.

I've got both Stairbuilder and ArchiStair if that helps (although the former confuses me totally), but is there a way to use those without putting in the actual stairs?

Wendy
4 REPLIES 4
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you use the Object Tool to access the Rail Wired 01 or Rail Wired 02 library parts, it has a parameter under General Dimensions called 'Rail and Parameter Input Type' that allows for a curved handrail. If you really wanted to impress your clients and colleagues, you could use this in conjunction with a thin curved wall with a semi transparent (ie. Glass) material applied to all sides. No one would know they are two separate objects and we promise not to tell.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Link, that sounds great. I only have one Rail Wired, though, not two. I'm still using 8.1.1.

I'm having to do some playing around to figure out how to set it because it's a bit odd, but so far, so good, after a couple of false starts.

I don't suppose there's any way to also draw this thing somewhat more freehand than presetting the dimensions so that I could use it for more freeform curves? I've tried using the Magic Wand, but either I don't understand how it works (which is likely), or it just *doesn't* work with things like this.

Wendy
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I don't suppose...
You don't suppose right. You have to set the parameters in the part.

Sorry.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

I had to think about that one for a moment - sometimes it pays to be wrong, I suppose <g>.

Is it just me, or is it really completely nonintuitive and unobvious that this part will do this?

Wendy