BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved window

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, can someone please advice how to make a curved window (straight in plan), I've attached a drawing to show what I'm trying to do. It doesn't have to be very detailed - basically just glass in a frame - which tools can I use? If I drew it on a plan and used slab to create it - would I be able to change it's position to fix in in a wall? Or is there a better way?
Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
Dwight
Newcomer
Another way to do this is just good for fooling around, but it is quick and simple.

Make a Complex Profile Fill as a wall the shape of the desired window. Make it glass.

Put it in the wall - the elements 'merge' to cut the opening and you get your glass.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Really sorry, but what is a complex profile fill?

That's what I've been trying to do , but this way does not work.

I can't create the wall of this shape.
Dwight
Newcomer
Don't apologize… research! You start learning about complex profiles by using the reference manual once someone points you to a phrase that you don't understand.

But there's tricks to making a useful complex profile in this situation:

1: the fill material should be glass - this defines the edges of the cutting wall. Also, the applied material [in the wall tool] should also be glass.

2: you'll be drawing the opening ACROSS the direction of the receiving wall - just like you'd cut out an opening.

3: Wall priorities can mess up this automatic trim. Always have the opening shape's priority override the receiving shape.

In summary, learn how to make complex profiles. MAke the window shape a fill. Place the fill in the complex profile editing window, save and then use it to draw a wall crossing the receiving wall. See my illustration.
23160Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 12 11 57 .png
Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 12 11 57 .png23161Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 12 11 57 .png
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much!
Dwight
Newcomer
So what does it finally look like?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again! Sorry for not replying for so long - was away.
I've been trying to do it but i'm doing something wrong. I have done the new profile, applied it to a wall that I have created especially for this profile. But by some reason I can not find my original building in 3d window though it is there in 2d and at the same time when i can see the building in 2D the wall with the profile is not there. So I can not move the wall to my building.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I figured it out but will need more time to do everything correctly.
Thanks again!
Learn and get certified!