BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Door Leaf not showing up lines on elevation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have drawn a custom door leaf in plan view using slabs. and then saved this as a door leaf by going file -> Libraries and Objects -> Save Selection as -> Door Leaf. I have then change some of my door leafs to this new one. in 3d view i can see that its changed, but in elevation view i want to be able to see the decorative lines on the door. How do I get this to show up in elevation view?

Attached a picture to show what I mean. Both of these doors have the same door leaf. When I highlight it I can see the lines on the door. But the door on the right is how it displays on elevation view.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems that you need to have a gap between slabs when drawing the custom door leaf for the decorative lines to show up in elevation view. Is this the only way?
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could also have a copy of the surface material on alternate boards on your door. If surfaces are the same they will heal at joints, removing lines between. If the surfaces are different (they can have the exact same properties as long as the name is different) you will see the lines between each in elevation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aahh ok - so all my surface materials are the same. so if i was to alternate them maybe? it would show the lines. I will try that now!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh my god thankyou! that worked! thats a handy tip to know!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, even though the method s2art explained is the best way to do this, I just want to add that you can also draw 3d lines with the morph tool in the face of the door leaf, but you have to do it on both sides in order to see them in both sides of the door.

This is just a little trick that is good to know (see the white lines in the door, those are with the morph lines that are only visible on this side of the door, because I didn't draw them on the other side).

But again, I think that the best way to do a custom door leaf is to build it the way it would be build in reality, that way you can have different surfaces in the different pieces and with this have the wood grain running the correct way.
door.JPG
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yet another method would be to offset the various parts of the Door panel from their plane by a very small amount, like 0.1 mm. That would also result in those lines being shown since the adjoining pieces will not be flush and lines would not be automatically eliminated.

By the way, this is pretty cool if you think about it. One problem, four possible and legitimate solutions. Again, showing the versatility of ARCHICAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, so... I had some fun, this topic made me experiment a little bit. Here is an example of a door using each technique expressed here.
I made it by pieces using the wall tool, the exterior frame using the polygonal method, this gave me the wood grain in the right way (please notice the grain change at 45d in the corners, but there is not lines in the elevation is the same surface is just rotated), and the center pieces with regular lineal method with a regular width. The center pieces are 1cm set back (from Lazlonagy method) and in between they I used 2 surfaces, one duplicated and made one a little darker for the render so it will be easier to appreciate (from S2art method). The only thing I did not use here was the 3d lines cause I did not needed or wanted this way in this case.

Plus, I got snap points (See in the elevation)

Nice, I just like this!
do.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
arqrivas that looks really good! Im not sure i actually followed how you did it though I wonder if you could also create surfaces and use them on the slab to create the custom door leaf to get the right grain showing up?

I might have to experiment a bit as well
Learn and get certified!