Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom fence

Amangava
Participant

Greetings, I am relatively new to the Archicad software and I have a question regarding the possibility of customizing fences. Is it possible to model a complex fence that would be a combination of stone with iron bars and what would be the most efficient method to achieve that? I will attach an example of what I have in mind.
I have searched for the solution and for now the complex profile one looks like it would cover what I am looking for but maybe there are some more options. Thank you in advance! 

Ex1.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Djordje
Ace

Use wall with empty window openings for the masonry part, and custom railing components (panels would probably work best) for the wrought iron parts. The bottom stone (?) ledge on the openings can be a rail, with a custom profile.

You will learn a lot about custom profiles while working on this type of building... look also at extruding morphs along a path, morphs in general, and how to save objects and  make a custom library (object maker comes to mind...)

You are at the beginning of an interesting journey... and every journey starts with a first step! 🙂

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

The wrought iron fence looks to be curved, I'm not sure you can achieve that easily with a panel in a railing (I think they will stay straight). Sometimes it is quicker to 'assemble' something out of several archicad elements, like beams and to draw the more complicated shapes in a complex profile looking straight at it and then extrude a beam or wall in the perpindicular direction (hope this makes sense).

You could maybe split the decorative wrought iron into two parts to sort of be able to 'bend' them.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Not completely similar, but sort of looks like what you are trying to achieve:B675_PRE_villa_220502.jpg

A lot of the more intricate trim is modelled with that method of perpindicular complex profiles.

No morphs since they are easy to draft, but a pain in the behind to manipulate afterwards, whereas editing the cross section or front 'view' in complex profile is very easy and quick and updates across all used instances instantly.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Figured the complex profile is going to be my best friend here. It offers the most versatility, I just need to figure out how to use it to the fullest. 
Could you maybe point me towards some materials (tutorials, courses, forums) where I could get to know the software a tad bit better?

Thanks!

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

There are some online courses for free from Graphisoft, but they cover 'everything' very briefly.

There also some in depth videos from some of the tools such as the Morph tool and the Shell tool from back when these were introduced, show casing how they work.

I would, however, recommend getting training through your local reseller, if they offer it, as this is usually of much higher quality and catered towards your local market (drawing standards, construction methods etc).

3-5 days of good training will teach you as much, if not more as 1 year of trial and error.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru

The question to ask with intricate scrollwork is whether or not it needs to be modelled, and if a texture can do. This is even more relevant when you are wanting it to curve as that increases the complexity of modelling it substantially.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Djordje
Ace

Quite so, @Lingwisyer 

I just remembered a project in mid 1999, where we have used a texture on a wrought iron interior partitions - and the 2D symbol fill in elevations - in ArchiCAD 6.5 and ArtLantis of the time...

... today, this can also be done by a curtain wall, but, as discussed, curved panels are not on the menu yet...

Djordje

HP Omen

I don't know about other markets, but in the Netherlands we have a company called 'Grande Forge' who make a lot of these wrought iron bits and they just have them available in DWG format. So it's a matter of magic wanding that to a fill in complex profile.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

... today, this can also be done by a curtain wall, but, as discussed, curved panels are not on the menu yet...

... and, if you do have a DWG outline, do not MagicWand it (the curved parts will generate a million straights, a long standing bug by design), trace it, and then ... curtain wall ... you can use them as custom frames, without panels, and then THEY ROTATE... although they do not curve

Djordje

HP Omen