BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Data Entry tit-bit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Somedays I discover something that makes me feel very good but at the same time STUPID having done it the harder way for so long...

1-0 is automatically converted to 1'-0" by AC.. What's the big deal?? There is a "-" on the keypad but no " or ' and frequently I have to use Shift to enter inches.. requiring 8" long fingers.

If I am the only one this helps I will feel even STUPIDER (new word)
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well if you enter the feet, you needen't enter the ". And Keep in mind that any whole number will be interpreted as feet and any fractional input as inches.

For example, 1'-0" can be entered:

1'0
1-0 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad).

Or a different example 1'-6" can be entered:

1'6
1.5 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)
1-6 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)
0-18 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)
18"
18/1 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad). Remember the fraction is interpreted as inches.

Now with fractional inches, 1'-6 1/2" can be entered:

1'6.5
1.5417 (ughh)
1-6.5 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)
0-18.5 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)
18.5"
18.5/1 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)

There's probably more combinations, but that's all I can remember before my morning coffee.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok.. Where do I send the Check...? and when is the ArchCad 932 "Secrets" by Link book hitting the stands?
TomWaltz
Participant
Rashid wrote:
Ok.. Where do I send the Check...? and when is the ArchCad 932 "Secrets" by Link book hitting the stands?
He's headed far away from civiilization... could be a while!! 😉
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
Link wrote:
18/1 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad). Remember the fraction is interpreted as inches.

18.5/1 (which can be entered entirely on the numeric keypad)

...before my morning coffee.
After coffee... note that the "1" is not required.

18/ is 18"

As Link says, all on the numeric keypad. I encourage everyone I train to learn to touch-type on the numeric pad if they haven't learned that skill before on a calculator ... and to use these "/" and "-" tricks. If your computer (laptop) doesn't have a numeric pad, buy a little USB one for $20. But, even entering on the main keyboard, you don't need to use the shift key to get inches ... just use the slash (/).

Karl... envying Link's itinerary through the South Pacific...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
this is very handy indeed!!!! having to hit " has always annoyed me, especially since that it is shift+2... but not the num pad 2.... anyway 1'-6 1/2" can also be entered as 1-6 1/2, which is nicer than doing the fractional inch as a decimal, since you would never have to figure out say... what the fraction of 15/32 is, you do have to hit space, but thats not too much of a trial

cheers,
dan
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ahhh - I knew I was missing a couple. Not sure if coffee would have helped me remember though.

Yep Karl, am quite looking forward to the trip myself. After Hawaii, Tahiti and New Zealand, looks like we may hit Fiji on the way to Australia, and will be going to a best friend's wedding in Thailand somehwere in there too. Wonder if there's many ArchiCAD users there?

I'll still be available and on ArchiCAD-Talk during the whole thing - y'all not getting rid of me that easily!

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!