BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Degenerated Polygons? Everywhere!

4dProof
Advisor

Can someone please explain to me why custom profile beams almost always have "degenerated polygons"? This session report comes up any time a project uses custom profiles. It's a very simple profile with about 7 nodes and a curved edge. The beam settings do not have any additional modifiers, it is not stretched in any way. There has to be something I'm missing, but I've done everything I can think of to fix files with degenerated polygons in the beams and I'm coming up empty. Anyone at GS here can shed light on it?

Beam 3d View.png

Beam Settings.png

Custom Profile.png

Session Report.png

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma

     

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
15 REPLIES 15
Lingwisyer
Guru

If an extra edge is not an issue, adding an extra node along the curve may resolve it.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I'll give that a try; not holding my breath.
I also do not think this report is a factor in file performance. There are MEP degenerated polygons that are triggering crashes, but this particular profile (and session report error) has been in this file for years

But I'll see if an extra node on the profile clears it from the report... good suggestion!

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Coincidentally I've found some corrupted profiles in my template file today (contour lines could not be overriden) and the only solution was to redraw everything – like completely, not just putting a node somewhere or whatever. (The node still might help since it fixes the small radius)

But yeah, there might be some underlying issue in any case that is not resolved by "Open & repair" either.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
4dProof
Advisor

different project, different profile, no curves, same warning: "degenerated polygons".
these are literally just a few squares and a couple L shaped fills. No curves, no extra nodes, nothing tricky. Beams they are applied to have no slope, angle, taper or rotation setting...  so is this a complex profile issue? what gives? I'm seeing basically any file using complex profiles getting more and more degenerated polygons and session report warnings (which is every file I'm managing).

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 10.38.06 AM.png

Are you sure the degenerated polygons are coming from these complex profiles and not a mesh or slab somewhere?

Or are these complex profile beams/walls interacting with other elements and causing the problems?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Barry,

Even when I pull them away from the model, their unique ID's are still being reported. It does seem prevalent where beams are intersecting with beams... but if we can only use complex profiles where model elements do not intersect, what is the point of them?
The above (most recent) example could have been modeled with 4 slabs or 2 slabs and an SEO; but that would have been tedious to maintain and to model in the first place. I'll try copying a single beam with that profile to a separate blank file as a test; but the fact that the unique ID being identified are these beams with complex profiles (seemingly any profile some times) is a bit concerning.
I'd think it's something to do with the fill thickness, but these are 1/8" min. thicknesses. If AC can't model/document elements less than 1/8" thickness in a complex profile, the tool needs to be revisited and maybe rebuilt. We are often times designing things to align and flush to finish to a 1/32" tollerance

Setup info provided by author

Learn and get certified!