Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Design Options: Relinking across multiple options

Aurasphere
Advocate

Ive started doing tuts on this today

I assume that, If I want various remodelled options of existing elements, I simply add them to eg option 1, then duplicate etc which carries the common links. So down the track I realise there are more common items that werent added at the start, ie they are upstream and therefore not duplicated into the child options. How do you get common elements in the main model to relink across multiple options in this case?

Operating system used: Windows

Mark Wesse
AC26 | Win10 | Since v6.5r
Architerion - Architectural Systems Developer
Aurasphere - Acoustics
Building Biology - Human Compatible Architecture
"--- Every time...do it better ---"

5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly

The main model is the "main model" and is common to all of your design option combinations.

Each design option contains only what is unique for that design option.

If you have elements that are the same in all of your design options, then they should be in the main model - they aren't really an option.

If you have some elements that may be the same in 3 design options, but not another 2, then you can duplicate them in each option, or you can set them in their own design option in their own option set.

Then you can turn that option on in some design combinations and off in others (the main option will always be on).

You can only have one design option active in a design set.

But you can have as many sets as you like allowing you to turn on multiple options in each combination.

I hope that makes sense.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Ok Thanks

I thought it was more like a delta change that was downstream but it just a different repository per change

My question was more about, if duplicating is like a copy, but the behaviour is assignment by linking, then why does the  behaviour not remain consistent?

Anyway, I get it but is a bit clunky in that sense.

Would be much more elegant to be able to select new elements in the main and multi select/relink them as they are likely relative, with changes to many options.

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

Hi @Barry Kelly 

So how do you, when working in an option, relink stuff back to the main model or did I miss something?

EDIT: It would seem you have to do it from the objects but once again, if that is true, it breaks convention for UX. The change initiator is in the design options menu...unlink should operate in exactly the same way (or more ways) to start with. Obviously outsourced committee based devs without solid and ratified schema being shared 😞

Mark Wesse
Aurasphere - Acoustics

@Aurasphere wrote:

So how do you, when working in an option, relink stuff back to the main model or did I miss something?

It is the same as changing an element's layer or renovation status.

Select the element and change the 'design option status'.

Hopefully one day we will get that option in the 'Edit Selection Set' dialogue as well, so we can alter multiple elements at once.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

You can select any number of elements, and in the Design Options palette select the Option you want them to be moved to, including the Main Model, and click Relink. This will move all selected elements to the selected Option/Main Model.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

Setup info provided by author