Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Dimensions_Two walls or lines

Unabend
Booster

There is one thing about Archicad dimensions that I haven't figured out yet. I need to quote the blue line you see in the image. In fact, I want to dimension a line that starts from Point A and arrives ORTHOGONAL to the wall at Point B.
HOW THE HELL IS IT DONE? 🙂
As Geometry method, I have to choose "Any direction", correct? Well. But then? I can make the so-called "Mercedes Cursor" appear, but I can't make the dimension appear on the blue line, only on the wall of Point B...
Thank you

Screenshot 2023-07-15 alle 19.29.45.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

If wall B is vertical (which I don't think it is), then you can simply dimension the corners of A & B and place a horizontal dimension.

BarryKelly_0-1689555944729.png

If wall B is not vertical, then before you start dimensioning, place a snap guide on the edge of wall B and a snap guide (circle) in the corner at wall A.

BarryKelly_1-1689556154926.png

Now you can dimension exactly the points you want.

BarryKelly_2-1689556402476.png

But note the dimension point perpendicular to the wall will not be associated.

But there is a way around that if you want.

Place 3 dimension points in this order.

Point 3 will be associated to the corner.

BarryKelly_3-1689556803328.png

You will only get the one dimension that you want (points 2 & 3 overlap).

BarryKelly_4-1689556847875.png

But if you move wall B forcing the corner point to move, then the dimension will show the extra node for point 3.

You can delete the un-associated dimension node for point 2 - leaving you with a fully associated dimension for points 1 & 2.

BarryKelly_5-1689557064022.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DGSketcher
Legend

Assuming the left wall is orthogonal, start dimensioning from internal corner at A, then pick the internal corner at B. Hit the [DELETE] key to complete point entry, it should be now showing a Hammer icon for the cursor. Now move the cursor around, a circle will appear between the two nodes and you can select from a choice of predefined alignments including the one you want. Click to complete the dimension placement. You won't be able to position it exactly on the internal corner node, but you can drag the dimension into place after if that is where it needs to be. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Unabend
Booster

Thanks, but that's not my problem. Your procedure assumes that before drawing the dimension I drew THE LINE joining A and B. But obviously this is not the case, because I don't need that line, I drew it only to illustrate my example.
I have two non-parallel walls. I want to draw a dimension that goes from a wall starting from any point and arriving ORTHOGONAL to the other wall. That's all. And I just can't figure out if Archicad "allows" this kind of dimension. I just want to hope.

No. I was working with the wall corners, but this will only work if one of the walls is orthogonal. The dimensioning process is only effective if you have two nodes, any other dimensioning will not be associated with the model and won't display model changes. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Maybe we don't understand what your real problem is – or you did not understand what @DGSketcher explained, because that was absolutely correct and the solution...

Maybe you need pics 🙂

1) Click the nodes

runxel_0-1689506076436.png

2) Place the line. It's really that simple.

(MacOS doesn't show cursors on screenshots, there is now the "hammer" showing here)

runxel_1-1689506135256.png

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
David Maudlin
Virtuoso

Unabend:

You should use the X-Y Only, not the Any Direction geometry method, to set the angle parallel to the X axis. Also, a Dimension line can be Rotated after its placement if you want to change its angle.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

Alternative to the Del key is to double click in empty space after the last node to finish the dim line.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Solution
Barry Kelly

If wall B is vertical (which I don't think it is), then you can simply dimension the corners of A & B and place a horizontal dimension.

BarryKelly_0-1689555944729.png

If wall B is not vertical, then before you start dimensioning, place a snap guide on the edge of wall B and a snap guide (circle) in the corner at wall A.

BarryKelly_1-1689556154926.png

Now you can dimension exactly the points you want.

BarryKelly_2-1689556402476.png

But note the dimension point perpendicular to the wall will not be associated.

But there is a way around that if you want.

Place 3 dimension points in this order.

Point 3 will be associated to the corner.

BarryKelly_3-1689556803328.png

You will only get the one dimension that you want (points 2 & 3 overlap).

BarryKelly_4-1689556847875.png

But if you move wall B forcing the corner point to move, then the dimension will show the extra node for point 3.

You can delete the un-associated dimension node for point 2 - leaving you with a fully associated dimension for points 1 & 2.

BarryKelly_5-1689557064022.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Unabend
Booster

Sorry for delay guys!

Thank you for your contribution, which means a lot to me.