Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Display order and floor tiles

KeesW
Advocate
Display orders seem to have changed. It never troubled me in pre-AC14 versions but it now bugs me all the time. Putting a fill on walls with wall tiles invariably requires me to bring this to the front - otherwise it doesn't show.

I attach a sketch of another situation that should not happen. My joinery plan also shows floor tiles, created as a thin 3D slab. I've extended it to the toe recess so that it will show correctly in cross-sections. The bench top and underbench cupboards both extend over the edge of the floor tiles. My plan, however, shows these protruding items but they don't obscure the floor tiles. I've sent the floor tiles to the back but cannot stop the floor tile line at the toe recess from showing. It produces a crappy and confusing plan! We know that the benchtop is on the top and it should automatically obscure the floor tiles - unless otherwise requested by the user.

It is one of the major reasons why people continue to produce 2D drawings with Autocad - at least one can avoid having meaningless stray lines.

Archicad knows where things are in 3D and elements and objects that partially or fully obscure other elements or objects must automatically do so unless otherwise requested. Is this too much to ask?

Cupboards floor tiles and display order.JPG
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
KeesW wrote:
...The bench top and underbench cupboards both extend over the edge of the floor tiles. My plan, however, shows these protruding items but they don't obscure the floor tiles. I've sent the floor tiles to the back but cannot stop the floor tile line at the toe recess from showing...
If the bench top is a slab then you will need to assign a solid cover fill to it with either a white or windows background pen colour.
If it is an object (as with the cabinets) then you will need to have a solid fill scripted into the 2D script to do the same thing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Oh and if you already do have these fills in place then check in your Model View Options that you are not over-riding them.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thing about ArchiCAD is that you HAVE to learn a lot before
you can enjoy benefits of it...
otherwise it is annoying...