Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Do not snap on text handles

Is there a way to avoid snapping on text handles?
I have a file from Autocad with a lot of hotspots and text, and when I snap AC always snaps on the text handle. Is there a way to avoid this?
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL
8 REPLIES 8
Hello Achille Pavlidis,

I don't think it possible to avoid snapping about one kind of 2d or 3D element
Since near 10 years I never needed to do this also I think it must be an inconvenience that I naturally bypass as this :
1 - Put your dwg on a work sheet
2 - Trace your dwg on your 2D view
3 - Select as below "Popup to choose types of element to show in trace image"

This is an illustration about what you can hide or show :

By this way you are able to avoid snapping by hidding what you don't need to show.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
DGSketcher
Legend
If the DWG is being used as a reference only my preference is to import the DWG file using the Drawing Tool onto a worksheet as suggested above. This way you avoid layer clutter but you also have the ability to control the layers. Hopefully the text is separated onto its own layers and you can control the visibility whilst retaining the information you need to trace.

This may help... https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/85798/
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately they do not work for me.
I have to import the DWG as an external reference and not as a drawing because the DWG is a site survey and I need it positioned at its original coordinates to keep its georeference
Achille wrote:
I need it positioned at its original coordinates to keep its georeference
You are able to do this with Drawing Tool into a worksheet or where do you prefer as well.
Here all you need to know before using dwg : https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/77257/
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Hi Christophe Fortineau, I searched your suggestion but could not find what you mentioned.
Is it really possible to have a DWG attached as an external drawing positioned in its own origin? I find this option only when attaching it as an XREF. In the Translation setup that manages the external drawing there is no such option
Hello Achille Pavlidis,

I you talk about automatic georeferencement you have to remember Autocad and Archicad are the same age. Archicad use a absolute georeferencement like our GPS and Autodesk another. That mean that Archicad is not able to place a georeferenced dwg not more that Autodesk is unable to take archicad georeferencement. Into a IFC we have to place a North object to be sure anyone can place the file at the right place and then to work with the georeferencement they want.
Also I was talking about placing your dwg as a drawing (at the right place) and then upgrade it as ofen as you need. Your dwg drawing ref will be at the right place for ever.
With a DXF you are able to keep point coordinations but not with an dwg file (or I don't know how to do this) : with these coordinations you are able to convert them with a website.
Christophe - FRANCE

Barry Kelly
Achille wrote:
I have a file from Autocad with a lot of hotspots and text, and when I snap AC always snaps on the text handle. Is there a way to avoid this?

In the 'On-screen view options' there is an option to turn off text handles.
Does this make them non select-able or does it just hide them?
I don't have Archicad in front of me at the moment.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
Achille wrote:
In the 'On-screen view options' there is an option to turn off text handles.
Does this make them non select-able or does it just hide them?
I don't have Archicad in front of me at the moment.
It just hides them.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14